Hit a pothole

deathshand

Registered
I hit a pothole last week. Got a small dent on the front rim but still holding air. The real problem is somehow the ball bearings got crushed. I was riding and they gave out. Given the speed at which we ride our busas, it's safe to say I need new underwear. Thank God it comes with a steering dampener. I have a question for the org. Can these be replaced and how hard will it be to do it myself? Or should I just get a new rim?

The bearings can be separately replaced, Although I've hit quite a few potholes myself (enough to bend a rim) I've never had a bearing get crushed. Are you sure the cause of the Instability (I assume you had a tank slapper since you mentioned steering damper) isn't from the fact the rim is bent causing gyroscopic instability? The bearings are cheap so replacing them just in case is good practice but they don't go out that easy.

Also if you insist on just changing the bearing you will need a new oil seals as well (they get messed up taking them out).

Assuming you have a gen 1 busa here are the part# you will need:
Qty x2 oil seal 09285-32004
Qty x2 bearing 09262-25061

i knew the rim was bent and put around 600 miles on it before this happened. The bearings I'm refering to are set in the rim. The small ball bearings set in a ring that holds the sleeve bearing (the axle goes through). I'm missing a few ball bearings. The ring that holds it in place was crushed and allowed them to fall out, or pop out pass the oil seal.

I wouldn't want to continue riding on a bent rim though either. Just use it as an excuse to buy a set of new aftermarket wheels :laugh:

I dont know if you are married but...

"Honey its unsafe to ride on this rim so i have to buy this $1,800 set of lightweight new safe ones" :thumbsup:

Hell i wish mine would bend so i could pull that over on my fiance/soon-to-be-wife

Back