Intermitten Electrical Short Circuit

suzuka1980

Registered
I have this strange problem that occurs intermittenly. My electrical systems experience a short circuit wheni press the horn or when the radiator fans come on.

This happens only when the bike is running hot though. It does not short circuit when the bike is cold.

Anybody has any idea what is wrong? It can't be the rectifier problem correct?

Ok, i stripped the fairings...checked the wires. All the insulation looks pretty much fine to me. No broken insulation or anything. Those that look suspicious have been taped up with electrical tape by me.

However, the problem has persisted!!! CRAP!!!

The problem occurs with the headlights now. As I said the problem is inconsistent. Now whenever a "short" occurs, as long I switch off the headlights, all is well again.

How do I know a short occured? Simple, the speedometer goes dead completely. Once I switch off the headlights, the speedometer comes alive again.

Hmm...how does bad grounding cause a short? I thought it was because a positive or live wires gets into contact with the body that causes the issues described?

Lastly, if all is well...what are the chances its an ECU problem? I even removed my PC3 and the problem persisted.

I'm no electrical system wizard, so no deep insight here. BUT - I did have the rectifier problem so my suspicions would start there.

Get it hot to the point where you experience the problems, then hook up a volt meter to your battery & see what the voltage regulator is letting in @ 4k rpms.

could be a hot lead grounding but that would tend to blow fuses. It could be a loose ground wire. There are lots of them all over the place. Intermittent problems are always difficult unless you can replicate the symptoms. Give the harness a good shake in different places and see if you can get the problem to occur. The other thing would be to visualy check the wirring front to back for anything that seenms to be having problems. All of the joints within the harness where multiple wires connect are simple crimp splices. These joints could give you problems.

Back