08 Busa boiling over

08 icbm

Registered
I've got a dealer new 08 Busa with about 1500km on it. It has an FMF Apex carbon fibre slip on it and no other mods.
A week ago I went for a 20 minute ride in the city on a cool 16C 65F day. When I turned off the bike at my destintation we were standing near it for about 10 minutes and it made a metalic click and suddenly there was a small puddle of antifreeze under the bike temp gauge was dead center. It dripped for a few minutes and stopped no more than a couple onces on the ground, and the overflow tank was still full.
I've gone for two 20-30 minute rides on much warmer days with no further leaks.
Tonight it's 16C 65F outside took the wife to the movies on it no leaks going there. But when I got home turned and it off I can hear the coolant boiling over and see a puddle forming under it Temp gauge is dead center.

Anyone out there ever have a similar problem?

Doug

Possibly some type of airlock in the coolant?
Check to see if the radiator & reservoir caps and all hoses are secure. It may be in need of a flush and re-fill as well. Worse case...bad thermostat?

Last edited:
Possibly some type of airlock in the coolant?
Check to see if the radiator & reservoir caps and all hoses are secure. It may be in need of a flush and re-fill as well. Worse case...bad thermostat?

Thanks for the input. I'm off to the garage with laptop and PDF shop manual in hand to try and figure out what's going on. If I take it to the dealership I won't have my bike back for a week or more.

Doug

Overflow bottle is only supposed to be half full .
Look inside fairing above front tire and you will see two lines on bottle that indicate where coolant is supposed to be .
If yours is too full it will boil over and out from the pressure .

Thanks to all for your input. The cooling system is bleed and seems to be working fine. Air bleed screw is pain in ass to get at and nothing but coolant came out but better safe than sorry. I'll do a few more rides close to home before I trust it for a longer road trip.

Check the fan is coming on.. I had this on a new bike and it was a disconnection to the radiator fan. whilst the bike is running it's fine but leave it more than a few minutes and it will start to boil over if the fan doesn't kick in..

Good luck.
M

Back