Smoke...

surt

Registered
Only during the first 5-10 minutes of riding, I'm getting a strong smell of burning rubber (must be a hose) and visible smoke. Seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine close to the base of the headers on the far-right-hand side ONLY.

Anyone else had this exact issue? I haven't modified anything on the bike...don't think this should be happening.

Also a little bit of clicking during the warm-up phase of running the bike (before I use it).

Any thoughts guys?

Check to make sure your headers are not in contact with your plastics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Medium grey in colour...suppose it could be plastics. Shouldn't be happening though should it? Unless I suppose the last person to change the oil didn't make sure to clear it.

No visible signs of burning from the outside. Such a PITA when menial crap like this happens.

Last edited:
It could be a little oil leaking onto the header or perhaps a coolant overflow hose making contact with the header. Not sure if the routing of the overflow hose is like my 750 was which runs close to the hot header pipes. Another thing could be the oil cooler hose that goes between the header is touching.

This problem is back again. I had a good feel around with my fingers and the headers appear to clear the fairings and all hoses.

I'm pretty sure the smoke is caused by oil. There was some making it's way out of the gaps in the fairings, and a few drops on the floor, but I don't know where it's coming from. it reaches as high as the top of the radiator.

Perhaps the previous owner didn't tighten up the oil filter?

Mmmm...I don't know, this isn't my area...any ideas?

Last edited:
If the oil is as high as the top of the radiator, I would guess it could be from the valve cover.

I feared someone might mention that :(

:laugh:It's really not that bad. There's enough "how to's" and folks to ask on here. Of course it's a PITA and you don't want to, but after you do it once, you'll see it's really simple.

Alright as luck would have it I think I've identified the source of the 'leak'.

No oil reaches above the bolt labelled in the picture below, but is everywhere beneath it, including the hose directly under it.

What bolt is this? It doesn't seem to have a symmetrical match on the other side of motor. What could have caused it? Is it the result of mal use? Is it plausible the leak is actually coming from here?

fker.jpg

Update on this old one, I finally got it looked at- covered under warranty thank god but they said the head gasket was leaking - this is unusual for a 5000Km-old bike is it not?
Can anyone chime in on what could have caused this? I pray it isn't the way I've been treating it.

head gasket?:confused2:

sounds pretty new to need a head gasket, not saying it doesnt need it, just saying it sucks that it does at such a young age...

head gasket?:confused2:

sounds pretty new to need a head gasket, not saying it doesnt need it, just saying it sucks that it does at such a young age...

You have to wonder what could have caused it.

Listen I'll be honest I really use that bike in the corners. mostly up around 8-9KRPM, and I just thump it up the gear there and back and cruise. Surely 'spirited' rides haven't caused this??

the light that burns twice as bright lasts half as long...

lots of guys really push their busas, and i am pretty sure that head gaskets are not a common issue. but you play hard, you pay hard!:laugh:

obviously the teardown will be worth a thousand words.

8-9k in the corners? good grief, i am nowhere near that level of control! then again, i am really chicken about laying her down (as evidenced by my c-stripped rear tires:rofl:).

Back