Article on 2nd gear and having your transmission rebuilt.

wow, thanks alot for that info. i am currently in the process of fixing mine for the exact same problem.

No problem, I just like to share info to save grief. I have also learned to try and get it done right the first time by going with people who have have the knowledge. Trying to save a buck with these performance machines typically costs much more in the long run.

I think you will be pleased with R&Ds work!

I have been told that it looks so good when you get it back you don't want to put it in the bike. LOL

Mark really knows his stuff after talking with him on the phone. Most of the Pro Street guys I have spoke with have had their trannys done by him also. I have no doubt it is going to be everything I am hoping for.

Looking forward to writing the second part of the article next week with more photos.

Last edited:
so how much would it cost typically to replace second gear? mine just started going out and im going to have to do something

Thanks for the article, bout to have mine ordered in a week or so!! Now just gotta fingure out who is gonna do the work for me...

Got a guy who works near me, and he said he replaced his tranny 3 times!!! That kinda scares me!!! I haven't heard anybody saying they replace the tranny 3 times after getting backcut??? Hmmm

Good article. :thumbsup: R&D is the only trans guy i recommend to others.:beerchug: He's seen every kind of failure and figured out the cures already. Did you have the gears micro polished , blued, or cryo'd?

Great writer, I have a better understanding of what under cut means, I heard the term never really new what it meant. :laugh:

I just got the tranny back from Mark today. Incredible work. The dogs are tapered and micro polished for smoother engagement. The input shaft has been cryogenically treated for strength and all of the back cuts have been face matched.

Part two of the article will be completed in a couple of weeks. I have a race on the 24th that will be run with the new transmission so I can give you all a report.

To those of you who race your bike or drive it hard I highly recommend you spend the money and have R-D Motorsports do the work. You will have it done once and not have to worry about it again.

Back