Weird thing happened today...

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So i took off form a redlight in first just to stretch her out after leaving my works parking lot. i get to like 5000 and i didnt think i went to shift yet but the bike went into neutral and the oil light came on but went off after 5 seconds and the bike kind of bogged down... When i did go to start the bike before riding the starter kept turning over but the bike took alot longer than usual to start.... Anything i might need to do in case this becomes a bigger problem?

The oil level is good through the glass from what i can see.

Really hard to explain but it was weird the oil light came on and the bike felt like it was bogging ???

Were you still on the throttle when this happened? If it stalled when you got off the gas the oil light would come on and it would feel like it was bogging down as it was compression starting itself. Don't know about the neutral thing though.

Last edited:
pretty sure i was on the throttle. I was just thrown aback from the oil light coming on like that. Maybe the bike did stall for a second but then continue to run.

It was really weird and happened fast. Just wondering why it wouldve stalled like that. I think im going to go have it checked soon. Get the throttle bodies synched and such while im at it.

You also said it cranked a bit long. Mine usually does that when the idle is down too low. That would also contribute to the stall. Idle should be between 1150 and 1250 RPMs.

yeahh i think i have the idle at 1100 or maybe a smidge lower. its the second time its taken so long to crank. hasnt been a problem though really. Its just so hot and sometimes in traffic is why i kept it lower. Im installing a second fan in line with the temp sensor and basically an override switch where i can just turn it on manually if i get into traffic. I will probly turn the idle up to 1300 or so once i get that in. I like to keep her cool

Russell,
If you want, we can crack her open and change the plugs - and do the sync (I have had some practice...) we can do it at night or during this long weekend if you would like.

MCM

Sounds like a good idea but im flying out friday to florida til tuesday :(
That next saturday if you want to meet up im free? We can finally go for a ride

The plugs dont even have 2k miles on them yet i dont think.. Put in fresh ones 2 months ago

Haha and just found out i have a 2 week duty starting the day after the july 4th weekend. So gotta postpone getting the bike painted AGAIN. very frustrating :cursin:

Russell
The extra duty should make you happy,,it will pay for the paint job and some mods:thumbsup:
As for the stalling,doesnt sound good,,Im glad that your going to sync the TB's,,jinks put up an awsome step by step,,He's not the 1st guy to mention the super glue on the vacum lines,,lol so have a few feet on hand,he even gave the correct diameter....Good point up stairs[about rolling back slighty on the throttle while turning it over] ussually witha FI system thats a big no-no,,,,but the manual says to do it when you experience hard starts,,turn it over THEN roll back gentle and slightly,,,
as for the oil light,, any vehicle that either you hit the brakes to hard sending the oil up front momentarily will cause the light to come on,,Ive not seen that on the busa tho,,I know you didnt hit the brakes,,but it stuttered falling on its face while hitting a gear,,and the light came on,,,My perspective on this is this,,,Either [a] your filter/screen/pickup tube is clogged from extended high mileage oil changes,,for which by reading your post I doubt,unless the guy b4 you did,,,, weak oil pump....more reasonable diagnosis,,,and [C] the bike,may have a sensor that will shut the bike off when low oil pressure is detected to safe guard the engine,,This is very probable,with you mising a gear and the bike lunged backward [ I presume} ,,There are alot of cars that have this safty device on them from factory,,I do not know if the busa does,,but it is one of the most sophisticated bikes Ive seen,,,,But Thats one thing to be sure to monitor,,alot of guys run 10-40 conventional and the manual calls for it and in hot index 20/50,,,,,,,,Also it should be denoted that more riders are useing synthetic ,,,IMO experinece,,a higher weight in hotter index will harvest a higher oil pressure thru the main bearings

Back