GEN 2 running hot. Help me troubleshoot

roust84

Registered
I was riding home last night on my 09 STOCK busa around 9pm. 60-70 degrees out. No traffic, normal riding. The bike starts to FEEL like it is running hot. I can feel excess heat on my legs through my pants, so I look at the temp gauge and it's creeping up to the half way point and slightly beyond before I get her home. I have never seen it above or even at half way mark even in 90 degree weather. I know that doesn't sound high, but again, it has NEVER been that high before with me doing any style of riding. the temp refused to fall even when on the freeway cruising.

Something HAS changed and I need help figuring out what it is.
How do I test the functionality of the fans and the fan switch? Any other thoughts?

next time you ride it get it wormed up and pull over check to see if the fans come on

i have never seen mine over the half way mark eather and its hot in tx

any how also check your coolint level , if need be change the fluid !

Dose the bike need to be running to test the fans? Can I kill the bike and turn the killswitch back on and have the fans run without the bike on?
Any info on how I can test it? Proper voltage or resistance reading perhaps?

Agreed if it went past the lil halfway mark you need to find out why.
I live in South Florida and rode thru last summer with temps reaching 100 and 80% humidity .
I have never seen my gauge go past mark .

Just start it up and let it idle for a few mins .
The fans will come on in about 10 mins and you will hear and see them .

1000 miles on the bike.
I checked the fans they come on but only at just a hair past the half way mark. they run for a 20-30 sec then turn off.

I'm sure I'm probably stating the obvious...

Was the 1st/600-mile service performed?
If you did it, what type of oil did you use?

Sometimes the "obvious" is over looked. So it is certainly worth bring up.
I did do the break in service my self. I went to my suzuki dealer and grabbed suzuki oil just because i was being picky for my fisrt oil change.

I was riding home last night on my 09 STOCK busa around 9pm. 60-70 degrees out. No traffic, normal riding. The bike starts to FEEL like it is running hot. I can feel excess heat on my legs through my pants, so I look at the temp gauge and it's creeping up to the half way point and slightly beyond before I get her home. I have never seen it above or even at half way mark even in 90 degree weather. I know that doesn't sound high, but again, it has NEVER been that high before with me doing any style of riding. the temp refused to fall even when on the freeway cruising.

Something HAS changed and I need help figuring out what it is.
How do I test the functionality of the fans and the fan switch? Any other thoughts?

I just re-read your original post...the temp guage on my 09 sticks and stays just a hair above the 1/2 way point as well once it gets warmed up. It doesn't matter how I ride it...hard or easy...still stays there. The only time it ever goes back down is when I let it sit for an extended time, but as soon as I get back on, it goes right back to just above 1/2. (and I'm up north/midwest where it tends to be cooler.)
IMO, I don't think you really have anything to worry about. Before I got my Ti-Force 4-2-1 full exhaust, I could feel the heat coming from the pipes pretty good as well. I think you're normal. I'm not sure if Suzuki oil is synthetic or not, but read up and find out if a higher or lower weight will help with bringing your temp down.

Back