Transmission Question

hckyguy1

Registered
Okay, so I found a salvaged Busa that I am considering purchasing if I can get the money. I went and looked at it the other day. It starts up and runs fine. I was going to take it for a test ride but someone had tried stealing one of the bikes they had there the night before so they paddle locked them all together and didnt have the key around to unlock it at the time. I could go back and ride it now if I wanted to but its out of town. My question was this: I tried shifting through the gears while it was just sitting there and it seemed to shift fine but every now and then it seemed to get stuck. I looked and noticed the shift rod was bent, I assume from when it was knocked over or something but im not sure. I was wondering if the shift rod being bent would be the reason it didnt shift right sometimes or if it could be something worse. When it didnt shift easily I noticed the bent rod was just bending/flexing instead of moving to shift gears. I thought I would see if you guys might know if that would be the cause of the hard shifts sometimes or if it could be something worse in the transmission, just trying to get a feel for how much it would cost to fix up if I do purchase it. I took a picture from another thread to show exactly what is bent, the pictures isnt of the actualy bike though, forgot to get a pic of it while i was there. Thanks for the help.

Shifter Rod.jpg

Well, the rod being bent is not a good thing, but I have never been able to shift my bike through the gears with it sitting on the stand. It should shift smoothly with it moving. I am sure some others can offer better advice, but I would ride it first.

is it normal not to be able to shift through the gears at a stand still? I can shift through the gears at stand still on my r6 easily which is one of the reasons I thought there may be more of a problem, although im hoping its just the bent rod. Even if there is some transmission problems at the price I could probably get it for it would still be worth buying I think, just got to figure out how to pay for it.

tranny needs to unload to shift between gears so at a stand sill unless it's unload you may shift thru 1 or 2...

well I think I got the money to be able to buy it so I will probably stop by on my way home from the twin cities on wednesday and take it for a test ride. any advice on what to look for that would tell me if there are other problems other than just the bent shift rod? other than the obvious not being able to shift thru the gears or having a gear not working? Its missing a right foot peg so this test ride will be a bit difficult but ill manage. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

i would get a volt meter to check charging system and while test riding it of course make sure u ride through all the gears and hit it in the first three gears to make sure it dont slip or anything,

i dont know if i will be able to get a volt meter but I will deffinately hit all the gears... I hadnt thought about hitting it the low gears to check for slipping, ill make sure i do that... anyone else got anything to look for?

u do low gears because thats where all of the torque is, i would make sure to check for leaks and stuff like that

ya it makes sense to me to hit it in the lows, do it all the time on my R6, I just hadnt thought about checking for slips, thanks for the info.

A lot of bikes with tight [good ] trannys, wont shift standing still thru all the gears while standing still,,,,unless you rock the bike frontwards and backwards,,,you should feel them drop in nicely,,,test ride of course is your better choice

Last edited:
A lot of bikes with tight [good ] trannys, wont shift standing still thru all the gears while standing still,,,,unless you rock the bike frontwards and backwards,,,you should feel them drop in nicely,,,test ride of course is your better choice

impossible to shift through more than one gear without moving the drive/driven shafts

:thumbsup:
impossible to shift through more than one gear without moving the drive/driven shafts
With any bike turned off,,rock the bike [in gear with the clutch out,,frontwards and backwards,,,,you can go thru ALL 6 GEARS UP AND DOWN,,,,,,,,you can get a feel of the trans this way,,but as i quoted above,,,test ride is the best,,If you are unable to perform this,,your doing it wrong,,you can go down thru all 6 gears and back up Thru all 6 gears,while standing still with the bike not running,feathering the clutch is 'sometimes but not always needed ",,please ask another org member:banghead:
Another tip while rideing the bike to check the trans,,loading the gear by throttleing up and loading it by letting off the gas to see if it pops out without touching the clutch,,and off course,,feeling how smooth it shifts at a normal rpm range and loading it on a higher rpm while shifting,,,,,,

Last edited:
:thumbsup:
With any bike turned off,,rock the bike [in gear with the clutch out,,frontwards and backwards,,,,you can go thru ALL 6 GEARS UP AND DOWN,,,,,,,,you can get a feel of the trans this way,,

....as i said without moving the shaft u cant shift.... u have to be able to roll the wheels about a foot, when u state ROCKING that is refering to a few inches,:spank:

:banghead:
Re-read my post nick,,,
Straddle any bike,,rock [said bike] LOL back and forth,,gearing up rapidly,,you can go thru all 6 gears up,and back down,,,comeon man,,I was perfectly clear,,no shift/shaft as you posted,,,,just plain old rocking the bike to go thru the gears while she is shut down ,,rocking her less than a foot either way,, ie; Rapidly and lightly is the key,,no jamming or force,,you will bend something,,,,,,turning the shaft/shift..what ever you meant isnt needed to perform this ,,while rocking it back and forth,it will load/unload the trans when you bottom out going frontwards and when you bottom at going backwards,,,shaft does not have to rotate,,only needs to feel the Load,,,,,,,,,,,Im done,,,

Last edited:
Back