2006 Busa, 25k miles, clunkining when at low rpms.

LeeFL2

Registered
Help guys!

My bike is very well cared for but I ride it a lot. Not too hard, though.

As I pull out from a stop and accelerate, I hear a mild clunk or two as the bike gains speed. It happens mostly in 1st and 2nd gears as I apply power without gettin on her too hard.

Could it be a worn sprocket set?

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Immediate thoughts are:

1. Have someone look at and adjust (if necessary) your cam-chain tensioner.
2. Have someone look at and adjust (if necessary) your chain.

Keep us posted on what's the what.

:beerchug: Good luck.

Thanks, Scar! Will do!

Cam chain tensioner will cause a clunk?!

i doupt it, once its warmed up and u get ridding does it still do it after u stop?

mine use to do the same when i started moving slowly but after i started moving it didnt do it no more, is that about somethin that happens to u?

edit: what part of engine does it come from? lower or top?

i doupt it, once its warmed up and u get ridding does it still do it after u stop?

mine use to do the same when i started moving slowly but after i started moving it didnt do it no more, is that about somethin that happens to u?

edit: what part of engine does it come from? lower or top?

Just like u said. Does it all the time at low rpms.
Most noticeable in 1 and 2. Does not go away after warm or hot..
When I hammer her it goes away.

Its definately in the lower portion, gears, drivetrain...

Last edited:
Attention:!! New word: CLUNKINING!:rofl:
lol

is the noise from bottom half ? does it slip in any gears and when u get a chance oil the oil cap and smell it, could be alot of thinks, is it just noise or does it stutter, or can u feel anything in the clutch?

can u put it in neutral and push it to see if u feel any drag or anything ?
and do the same thing to put it in gear then hold the clutch

Last edited:
Maybe check the cush drives in the rear wheel, have someone watch it when you put it in gear and see if the rear sprocket jumps.

OK, Pulled the wheel of and checked both sprockets carefully.
Front and rear sprockets are fine.
Checked the six rubber dampers inside the wheel hub. All ok!.
Put the bike on a center stand and started her up and let her spin thru gears. some clunking, very mild.
Shut engine off and spun the wheel in neutral and I can feel a snap in the front sprocket to chain area. Could it be that my chain is stretched? Seems to be somethin in the chain or front sprocket.
What are the symptoms of a bad chain?

See how much play you have in your chain, If it has more than 1" you may need to tighten it up a little

OK, Pulled the wheel of and checked both sprockets carefully.
Front and rear sprockets are fine.
Checked the six rubber dampers inside the wheel hub. All ok!.
Put the bike on a center stand and started her up and let her spin thru gears. some clunking, very mild.
Shut engine off and spun the wheel in neutral and I can feel a snap in the front sprocket to chain area. Could it be that my chain is stretched? Seems to be somethin in the chain or front sprocket.
What are the symptoms of a bad chain?

i would check the whole chain for stiff spots. as if a link rusted a sealed itself to make 2 links a solid link example

Had the same thing happen to my chains. I had the chains put on and never went the 200 to 400 mile break in on the chains, and played around a little to much. Didn't let the chains stretch out all the way around. The chain had stretched in one spot and heard what you are hearing now. I had to buy new chains and let them stretch for around 400 miles tightened back up and all is fine now. Just some info for you.

Ben

Thanks! That is interesting. This chain has 25k miles of wheelies and stuff so guess its time for a new one.

As a follow-up:

I sprayed the chain with a penetrating oil called corrosion block. It is slightly thicker than wd40 and light blue in color. I put her up on a rear wheel stand started her up in 2nd gear and sprayed heavily. Then I shut her down and let stand for an hour. After that, I took her for a ride and the popping sound was gone. Note that I could not see any irregularity on the rear sprocket and the chain seemed to seat correctly. I failed to observe the front sprocket while the cover was off but my guess is that I had a link binding up.

after u get back from a nice ride i would spray it with chain wax, while the chain is hot,
all i use is chain wax its awesome, no sling and it works great

after u get back from a nice ride i would spray it with chain wax, while the chain is hot,
all i use is chain wax its awesome, no sling and it works great

Will do Nicholas. Thanks for all the help man!

You guys allways come though to help a fellow rider out!!:beerchug:

Lee
Its obvious that you in need of a new chain buddy,,,thats alot cheaper than an internal problem,,,lubeing it will only buy you time or ruin the sprockets,,,,I think the factory chain is a #550 with 112 links[dont quote me],,either way,,from monitoring your problem,,buy a new chain and as instructed above,,let it break in properly brother,,,the it wil last you a long time,,theres no doubt in my mind , thats you problem,,The manual advises to lube the chain every 600 miles,,so after your new chain install and a weekend of break in and relube at 600,,,then wheelie and whack it all you want,,,,take care,,,I also enjoy the chain wax,,,good stuff,,,,,,,,,,PS,,when installing,,dont over tighten,,you have a picture in your manual,,showing you to push up from the bottom,,about an inch or slighty more,,If not you will prematurealy where the new chain out ,,plus,,monitor the swing arm notches and make them equal,,after install,,rotate tire [ while still on stand] to look for anything out of the norm...........

Last edited:
Back