discolored exhaust

50busa

Registered
I have had my Busa for a little over 1 month. I have 1790 miles on it. I noticed the other day that one of my Leo Vince SBK carbon fiber exhaust tips is changing color. It looks like someone poured some type of liquid on it, but no matter how hard I scrub it, it will not come off. It looks like a yellow powder type substance. The only thing i can think is possibly when I rinsed it off, the exhaust may have been hot. Please Help.

My "mid pipe" is kinda like what you described, looks like some kind of liquid was pored on it then when it got hot and the heat started to change it to a goldish tint it really started to become visible, I scrubbed it with metal polish and gave up.

BusaUD1 007.jpg

well thats what chrome usually does or turn blue, but chrome doesnt do good at all when it comes to heat

Most Stainless Steel pieces on exhaust will yellow with time .
I had a Muzzy 4into1 header and full system and within a month everything but the can was yellow .
Not much you can do about it if that's what your talking about ?

Most Stainless Steel pieces on exhaust will yellow with time .
I had a Muzzy 4into1 header and full system and within a month everything but the can was yellow .
Not much you can do about it if that's what your talking about ?

Exactly what I was thinking Blanca! You can't fix the yellowing over time, except not get it so hot.

i brought the bike to the shop today and the dealer said they were going to contact the sales rep and discuss it with him. the other pipe has this type of coloration starting and it is coming from where the carbon fibers starts.

IMAG0067.jpg

Oh! That is not what expected at all. That looks like an acid spill or some other chemical.
Sorry man, I can't help you on that one.
Bubba

Last edited:
i did clean the bike. at first i thought it was mud or something because it rained earlier during the day. i sat there and scrubbed repeatedly and it still will not come off.

i did clean the bike. at first i thought it was mud or something because it rained earlier during the day. i sat there and scrubbed repeatedly and it still will not come off.

I hope you can get all this taken care of. After you pais all that monet the last thing you want to happend is this. Good luck.

Just to give a hard time clean her again. :laugh:

man that sucks, i got carbon fiber can on mine, did u ever use a chemical on it? like a type of soap or something?

wet sand, wet sand , wet sand, 1500-2000 grit lightly over it and it, until smooth again then a bit of rubing compound and followed with mguires polish and should look like new again, that hapend to my CF hood and it turn around, but I decided to add leater on 4 coats of clear to avoid doin that again... just dont get overselous and wetsand through the clear... that will mess up our CF weave and you can't recover from that... it's the draw back of CF it will react to heat/cold defrently and chemical will make matters worst.... always clead CF with just water and only when it has cool down

I just hope its a cheap exhaust { lot] and not the bike running too lean or a head problem,,,,what color is the inside tip of the exhaust,,,should be ash colored,,,,really light gray or white is too lean,,,black indicates too rich,,,but too rich shouldnt do that,,,Kinda looks like the pipes are getting to hot,,,,my cans did that when I did my solo run after installing a NOS system,,,,I soon put a PC on it to add fuel and it cooled it down,,,,hopefully ,its just a bad set of pipes,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
for those who have the gold-ish pipe, I used BlueAway it works great

before, the blue happend when I had an O2 bung welded in.

dsc02711.jpg

after crappy cellphone pic

blueaw10.jpg

i brought the bike to the shop today and the dealer said they were going to contact the sales rep and discuss it with him. the other pipe has this type of coloration starting and it is coming from where the carbon fibers starts.

I'm thinkin'n its heat effected carbon fiber, by the way its down at the hottest end of the can !

for those who have the gold-ish pipe, I used BlueAway it works great

before, the blue happend when I had an O2 bung welded in.

dsc02711.jpg

after crappy cellphone pic

blueaw10.jpg

Ditto on this product - It will not get all the discoloration off the chrome but this stuff really works well, better than anything I have ever used at removing the blueing on chromed pipes. (On the discolored metal, probably not on the carbon fiber).

Back