rear suspension

505fatboy

Registered
I have recently lowered my bike two inches in the rear and one inch in the front i also added an extended swing arm, however while i ride there are time that it seems that i bottom out. it only happens once in a while but i am pretty sure that untill I address this taking my wife for rides is out of the question. Please help or advise.

When you lowered and extended you created a problem. Extending the swingarm creates more leverage on the rear spring, compressing it more when you hit bumps. Lower the rear shortened the distance required to make contact. That combination of changes made for the perfect rub.

You may be able to make adjustments to the factory shock and fix your problem. I would try that first.

Daniel at Cloudninmotorsports can help as well, He is a Sponsor, I had the same problem, and eventually it will rub a hole in your undertail

Did the same thing on my Busa... Increase the Pre-Load on the shock and go 5 clicks higher on the compresion. Try it then and if that is not enought increase both of them more. :beerchug:

if your gonna want to ride 2 up and just gonna go ahead and say you might as well get a heavy duty spring. if your not planning on riding 2 up then adjust the preload on your shock and stiffen your compression and rebound

It's the spring that first needs to be swapped. You can put the best shock out there on the bike and it's still going to bottom if you've got the from spring on there.

You should get a heavier spring.
If you adj the oem one to the point where it is stiff enough not to contact it may be so stiff it will cause the rear tire to hop and skip over bumps rather than working properly thus creating an even more dangerous condition.

You should get a heavier spring.
If you adj the oem one to the point where it is stiff enough not to contact it may be so stiff it will cause the rear tire to hop and skip over bumps rather than working properly thus creating an even more dangerous condition.

not to step on your toes but isn't that the point of the heavier spring? to make it stiffer so it won't rub. i'm still using the stock set up with max preload with compression and rebound set to the stiffest setting. its still not stiff enough to cause any dangerous conditions from what i have encountered but you know i haven't been in EVERY situation and i know they are all different. but i do agree tho if he is going to ride 2 up he'll need the heavier spring cause the stock one won't handle it.

Back