Fuel Pump not coming on?

avalanche07

Registered
I have and 03 busa that will not start:banghead:. After reading different post I have charged my battery overnight and still the same thing. After turning on the ignition switch I don't hear the fuel pump prime. I pulled the tank off again and this time I take the fump pump off. Pump looks fine. I have also noticed that the fuel gauge isn't reading correctly.

Check list(things I've done)
the clutch switch, the tip over sensor, checked fuses, charge battery w slow charger and tried to jump it w car battery( motor off)

Any other suggestions would help!

i would lift tank and disconnect electrical connector.use a test light or multi meter on power wire connected to ground and turn on key.light should come on or show voltage when key is initially turned on(when it first primes fuel system).if it lights up id say faulty fuel pump. my .02 good luck

do you have an alarm , mine went bad , was wired in to fuel pump, i ran a lead from the battery & jumped the pump to get me home .

No I dont have an alarm hooked up. I was able to get the error code by setting it to "dealer mode". The code is c41/ fuel pump relay according to the manual. None of the local parts houses keep these so I have to order from dealer but question, there is another relay located near the fuse box that I swapped because its the same raly, and still got the FI error.

Update
I put the bike in "dealer mode" and got code c41 which points to the fuel pump relay. I looked everywhere for the relay over the weekend guess I'll have to wait til tues to get at a dealership. But I'll keep yo guys posted thanks.

The "relay" is on the left side upper fairing (basically just below your left clip on and left side of gauge cluster.) Take off the left side black top cover and you will see the relays. There is like 2 plastic clips (1 big one small) and 2 small allen head fasteners. If my memory serves correct the relay of most Suzukis are integrated type, it serves as a flasher relay, side stand relay and a fuel relay all in one.

Last edited:
The fuel pump relay is back near the battery. Take a test light and clamp it to ground on battery and then touch each connect on relay with it still plugged up and one of them will acuate the fuel pump. That will let you know if fuel pump is good. Possibly the relay is bad.

UPDATE
I finally received the fuel pump relay snapped it on and stll the same problem. I'm stuck and frustrated. If you guys know of anything else I'm willing to try.

BTW bought a new battery too

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I've tried everything! I bought a new battery, a new fuel pump relay, and new fuses. I don't know what else to check the fuel pump will not prime.

I forgot to mention that there's a power commander on it. I don't see any lights on the pc and don't know if that's the cause of the pump not coming on because I never paid any attention to it. Can I disconnect the pc someway to get the fuel pump to come on? Does the pc even control the fuel pump? I'm stuck

Any help is appreciated.

Man I've tried everything! I bought a new battery, a new fuel pump relay, and new fuses. I don't know what else to check the fuel pump will not prime.

I forgot to mention that there's a power commander on it. I don't see any lights on the pc and don't know if that's the cause of the pump not coming on because I never paid any attention to it. Can I disconnect the pc someway to get the fuel pump to come on? Does the pc even control the fuel pump? I'm stuck

Any help is appreciated.

Tried everything, huh?
I used to do this all the time when I'd need help with my other bikes before I finally caught on too. I'd get on the forums for help...people would give me suggestions that I'd disregard and I'd just keep plowing down the same road I thought it was until after countless hours of failure, eventually listened. Before you go out and buy anything else, do what a couple others have already suggested first. With stand alone wires w/ clips, connect the fuel pump directly to the battery or another power source and see if the fuel pump "whines" on it's own when you complete the circuit. If it does, the fuel pump and relay are ok. You would've saved some time and money and people would know where to direct you next. I may have missed it in an earlier post, but we still don't even know if you've tried this yet so we can begin ruling things out. You keep disregarding it, but this is your help. Go do what we've been telling you so we can move to the next step and you can stop going out and spending your money unnecessarily.
Not trying to be an @$$, just troubleshooting. :thumbsup:

My money is on a bad ECU, either from some type of previous mod finally shorting it out or just plain failure. Had this happen on a couple GSXR 750s I worked on in the past.

Last edited:
Had the same problem. Mine was simply because the yellow wire was stretched and pulled out from the connector. The wires don't have enough slack when the tank is propped up and pull out easy. Just check the wires coming off the fuel pump if you haven't already.

Back