Bike won't start, suggestions?

knotlinks

Registered
Hiya everybody. I read this board daily, just don't post. Thanks for all your help!

My question: Basically, I cannot start my bike. 2003 Busa, silvery, about 2800 miles.

History: Bike sat for about two years before I started riding it. I am unsure of all the mods on the bike, but I believe it has TRE and PAIR block off, I don't think anything else other than cosmetic mods. Things I've done:

1) Brand new battery that holds a 13.34 v charge, on a Battery tender.
2) New tank of 93 octane gas, with injector cleaner and octane boost.
3) The bike ran ONCE with the new battery, could this maybe be the remnants of old gas before a clog in the fuel system? Is that even possible on an injected system?
4) Using the Error Code paperclip hack, I get no error codes popping up (C00).
5) While turning the bike over, it will "thump" every minute or so like it fired, but never runs fully.
6) The "choke" / fast idle cable was unattached completely when I went poking around last night on the bike, and had been detached for most of the cranking over I attempted. It is reattached now and seems to be fine, at least it looks like other pics I have seen of the same cable and matched the manual roughly (I think I have the old, poorly designed cable that pulls when you turn left).
7) Heated garage kept at about 55 - 60 degrees F.

Any other info needed, I can supply. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated, summer riding weather is approaching in Buffalo, and i want to ride this bike more than the others. Thanks everyone!

DaveC

Last edited:
Also:

8) I had installed a battery backwards in a moment of hazy stupidity, and blew the 30 amp main fuse. The fuse has been replaced with the proper fuse.

Also:

8) I had installed a battery backwards in a moment of hazy stupidity, and blew the 30 amp main fuse. The fuse has been replaced with the proper fuse.

That might have hurt the ECU.
Do you know anyone that can swap theirs for you to test?

I think Mike nailed it on, 328.5 miles a year. Gummy injector spray holes to a sticky piston so as to magnetize, lift quickly, expose the gas so it enters the spray holes.

As for the blown fuse vs. ECU, I think if the spark is there and the fuel pump sings, the needles swing, your fuse stopped that damage is pre-engineered to blow a fuse before it reaches the relay first, then the ECU, I think [without looking in the book]?

So, if you see all that happening, she is back to the fuel problem like Mike said initially. It thumps on the off-timing, meaning, it's trying to squirt, but when it reaches up top to fire, that stale gas is still there on the pre-fire or the injector holes are 'varnished closed' is my guess? Compression is there if it thumps and that low a mile on the engine... sans a seized valve and it tagged the piston scenario. I kind of think it did not. More like Mikes thoughts.

:moon: OH LOOK! A clogged ORIFICE ARE a bunch of 'em! :thumbsup:

:poke: Good Luck!

Last edited:
That might have hurt the ECU.
Do you know anyone that can swap theirs for you to test?

I rode the bike with the new battery once after the incorrect install. Should this rule the ECU out? The ride was only about 5 miles total, just to test out the new battery, and the next day I couldn't start her.

328 miles / year is a little low, I'll look into fixing that. Too many bikes to ride to put serious mileage on them in the short riding seasons up here.

Last edited:
Battery still has a good charge?
Did ya put fuel stablizer in and run it prior to storing for so long?

Like the others said: Check/service/replace filter, plugs and injectors.

Took the plugs out last night, didn't do the rest of the service yet. The plugs all seem to match the "carbon fouling" picture in the reference from mike1180. I'm ordering a new set of iridium plugs from Amazon, should be here mid next week I hope. Thanks again guys!

Just go down to Autozone and get the NGK cr9e's if you don't want to wait forever. They stock them and that's what the bike came with.

While your there, you can get a r-134 servicing hose w/ the gauge and cut the fitting off the hose then use that to check your fuel pressure. That was my problem all along. If your pressure is low your looking at a clogged filter, or like me, a popped off regulator. It is unlikely the injectors are so clogged it won't start at all. It would just run crappy I think.

Follow up and success!

Just a quick follow up for anyone having the same problem.

I changed the plugs to the new Iridium plugs, as the old ones were quite black. This may have been the problem, but it's tough to know because I also ordered a new prefilter mesh and fuel filter. The 03 has all of this in the fuel tank, and the filter is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

After changing fuel filter, spark plugs, pre filter mesh, and the recommended o-rings, she fired right up! Now I can finally put some real miles on her, not just the other bikes! Thanks for your advice, forum members. This is one of the best, if not the best, forum I've had the pleasure to be on. I'll be back and lurking.

Re: Follow up and success!

Just a quick follow up for anyone having the same problem.

I changed the plugs to the new Iridium plugs, as the old ones were quite black. This may have been the problem, but it's tough to know because I also ordered a new prefilter mesh and fuel filter. The 03 has all of this in the fuel tank, and the filter is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

After changing fuel filter, spark plugs, pre filter mesh, and the recommended o-rings, she fired right up! Now I can finally put some real miles on her, not just the other bikes! Thanks for your advice, forum members. This is one of the best, if not the best, forum I've had the pleasure to be on. I'll be back and lurking.

Thanks very much for reporting back the answer!
Glad you got it! :thumbsup:

Back