starter prblems

busaboy007

Registered
ok here we go i bought a motor with 600 miles on it from a trusted source. finaly had the time to put it in and push go to shove the motor wont turn over checked the starter gear reduction good. the starter clutch on the cranks good. battery GOOD. good grounds and pos side all good stil it wont turn the motor over. and with the plugs out i can turn the motor over so its not seized and the starter motor is good without the gear reduction on it turns over farly fast. wtf HELP ME :banghead:

Try this and let us know:

Starting Flow Chart.jpg

is it posable that the clutch on the crank is slipping cause it sounds like i want to tur over but then it stops any idea i hope its not the starter motor never had any problems befor with it and realy cant efford a new one

Moin moin,

would like to go through the procedure step by step, ok?

If you push the starter knob, what kind of noise do you hear?
1) Just a "klonk" as if the starter starts but is blocked by something
2) A buzzing noise that tells you the starter is running but can't get its force to the crank?
3) A chattering coming from the left side under the seat?
4) Did you leave the old starter when using the new motor? Starter gear was changed somewhen around 2003 I think.

Waiting for your reply...

Ciao
D1

spent an hour over there with shawn...pulled the whole clutch out, pulled the starter and all gear reduction out...checked everything and put it all back except i left the clutch out...bike will crank over about 45-90 degrees then the starter disengages and spins free....if you let off the button and try again it will spin 45-90 degrees and spin free every time..i didnt think the starter had a solenoid like they do on a car so im not sure how it is spinning free....but we def cant get it to crank enough to start up

silly they still have a selinoid it next to the battery on stator side of bike under the fairings i think it that stupid starter clutch once it get to a compression strock it can handle the torque and slips what ev well get it goin soon i hope anyone elses imput we need a third person to become the three stooges aNY takers???

no that would be a relay and the main fuse not a solenoid....me no stoog...check your facts shawn....:moon: these 2 pages show the location of every electrical component on the bike...and no solenoid

shawn1.jpg

shawn2.jpg

RELAY AKA seleniod same thing does actatly the same thing u hit the button it sends power to the starter on difference is that a normal car starter always has 12v to it and the starter selenoid aka relay turns it on on our bike no starter mounted seliniod but a relay that does the same thing send power to the starter:laugh:

:poke: a solenoid throws the starter cog out on a starter and operates via an electric magnet...not the same thing, and if u really wanna be confused look up (contactor)

Moin moin,

just to clarify, the Busa's got no solenoid. The starter is in permanent contact to the gear(s).
To prevent the starter from "being run by the engine" there is a free-wheel clutch build on the crank. You can see it by removing the big allen key bolt on the down right side of the engine.
From what you tell I'd say your free-wheel clutch is done. Typical behavior to "try to run the crank" but then disconnect and making that special sound when the starter is turning without load. Get the allen key bolt off and see how the screw you'll see in the hole will turn.... or not turn...

Ciao
D1

Back