Intermitent high pitched whine??

2005Hayabusa

Registered
Bike whines off and on. Sounds like a tuning fork or something. Comes on for a few seconds then stops. Does not do it all the time and have not noticed it with the bike running. I did a search and found something about the fuel pump? I am not super worried or anything . Bike runs great.

Is you spouse on board? :whistle: Mine use to make the same noise. :laugh:
Sorry I could not help. Hope someone could.

No I ruled that one out right away. She rode with me once. I was even on good behavior. I mean well uh. I thought I was sort of. After 11 years of marriage I am starting to think we have different views on what is good and not so good behavior?

Last edited:
it doesnt do it when the bike is running?

i assume you know this, but it is supposed to make a little whining noise when you first turn the key into in, before you turn it on. It does it every time and i believe is the fuel pump doing something.

if you already know this, i dunno what it can be, But in case you didnt know that, yeah its normal.

No I ruled that one out right away. She rode with me once. I was even on good behavior. I mean well uh. I thought I was sort of. After 11 years of marriage I am starting to think we have different views on what is good and not so good behavior?

thats just the man to woman points of view for ya. we'll always see everything backwards from one another.:poke: :laugh:

it doesnt do it when the bike is running?

i assume you know this, but it is supposed to make a little whining noise when you first turn the key into in, before you turn it on. It does it every time and i believe is the fuel pump doing something.

if you already know this, i dunno what it can be, But in case you didnt know that, yeah its normal.

that would be the pump putting "pressure" into the system. all cars and trucks do it too. you just can't hear them do it b/c the pump is deep in the tank and in your trunk.

One thing is that it does it with the key not in it. And if it is doing it to pressurize the system could that mean my bike is somehow losing pressure more than it should?

pressure builds up in your fuel system and tank from time to time.
System has a vent on it with a valve that purges pressure.
What you may be hearing is just the system equalizing pressure ?

If it sits in the sun it will build pressure.
Roll it inside and it will cool.
That pressures has to go somewhere.
it gets vented.

That makes sense. I thought someone was saying it is a device that creates pressure or something. I read wrong probably. Anyhow thanks for the responses. Noisy pressure release valve I can live with. I was not about to go back begging for my vfr back!

i had that problem on my 06 it was the windscreen vibrating try putting your hand on the windscreen when it makes the noise.

Back