Electric shifter not shifting at WOT

Bullitt995

Registered
I have a dynojet shifter and it shifts great when messing around town but if I'm wide open on the throttle it won't shift. It will still shift if I lift and shift without the clutch though. I checked my chain and I think it might be a little tight. Could this be the problem?

Sounds to me like the kill time is too short. It may work under light load but under WOT it might be too much strain for the drive train to unload completely in the time allowed. Is this a new problem (the shifter worked under WOT before and stopped now?) or did you have this issue sense you bought the shifter?

BTW the proper way to adjust kill time is to give it max kill time, and reduce it one run at a time until it will not shift under WOT anymore than bring it back up to the last setting it would shift under WOT at. That should have you at the correct kill time. If you had a shop install it for them bring it back to them and tell them they didn't set it up properly and they need to fix it.

two things, as stated, adjust the kill time and secondly make sure the piston is positioned to give the lever the most amount of travel for the shift.

Let us know how it goes. And yeah, check the op-rod (piston) adjustment to make sure when it engages the shifter moves all the way till it stops.

If the kill time was too short wouldn't I at least feel the bike cut out but not shift? It's not cutting out at all at WOT.

it should cutout regardless of throttle position. What you're saying is that at less than full throttle you can begin to move the shift lever up and feel the ignition cut out but at full throttle you don't feel it?

it should cutout regardless of throttle position. What you're saying is that at less than full throttle you can begin to move the shift lever up and feel the ignition cut out but at full throttle you don't feel it?

At full throttle it feels like the shifter doesn't even want to move at WOT unless I let off the gas for a second. That's why I started thinking chain problem.

Last edited:
Ok so I guess I don't know how to work my power commander. I can't get it to communicate at all with the software on my PC. Is there a simple guide on the forums somewhere?

Actually hold on, I'm supposed to be able to adjust the shifter though the LCD screen right? Where is that option?!

Last edited:
Nope it's not seeing anything. Every time I reconnect to a USB on my computer it says it's "searching for PS3USB" but doesn't find it. Could it be a problem that I'm connecting through the LCD screen and not directly to the PC3? The LCD finds the PC3 just fine.

Ok I got it figured out. Lengthened the kill time a little bit and nothing changed. I'll max the kill time and try again tomorrow.

my guess is it just plain isn't killing the ignition... or the switch inside the shifter is bad, or the voltage going through it is to high while at wide open throttle....

It's killing the ignition because it works at part throttle. No chance it's the chain being too tight? How can I fix it if it's the voltage problem?

Back