choke (fast idle) is not working, pics to show why

stepaukob

Registered
My choke fast idle mechanism isn't working.

I attached some pics. I think the fast idle is supposed to rub against the "wheel" (not sure what's it's called but it opens the butterflies on the intake).

It's way off, it's not even close to touching even if I adjust it all the way. Even if I adjust it all the way it doesn't seem to do anything. Do the pics look right? Maybe I thinking about this wrong? Either way, when I adjust it, it doesn't do anything.

My choke hasn't worked for awhile, any help would be greatly appreciated.

100_1385.jpg

100_1388.jpg

I've come across that manual picture and I can't see it clearly enough to know if I there's something mechanically wrong with mine.

Since I don't know the names of the parts I labled them (kindegarten style).

To me it looks like "A" rotates and is supposed to push up against "B" which essentially moves "C" to open TBs. "A" and "B" barely even touch when fst idle cable is opened all the way no matter how I adjust it.

Am I'm missing something on the bike or am I not thinking about this the right way? Is there a part missing, I close up pic of a working fast idle setup may help or parts list.

100_1385send4.jpg

Hope the pic with writing is more clear.

I can cycle the fast idle cam by hand with the cable off the entire cycle and the idle does not change.

How is this supposed to change idle?

100_1385a4.jpg

I may be wrong here but I think it is the top Cable in your picture that is the idle control, I have only had to mess with mine once so I could be mistaken.

Am I right guys

Here are a couple of pics from my Haynes manual and it looks like it does touch.
I don't have access to my bike to check it (winter) but someone else may, if you are still unsure.
Good Luck!

Attachments

• Fast Idle 2.BMP
    1.2 MB · Views: 910
  • Fast Idle 1a.bmp
    708.8 KB · Views: 846
All set for now,

I got it barely touch but the most I could get was 2k at full high idle. Ended tweaking the white metal with a set of vice grips which gave me a little more fast idle.

Thanks Jeremy for your help

100_1385aaa.jpg

All set for now,

I got it barely touch but the most I could get was 2k at full high idle. Ended tweaking the white metal with a set of vice grips which gave me a little more fast idle.

Good to talk with ya. Hope it all works out.:thumbsup:

All set for now,

Thanks for posting what the fix was.
Everyone likes to learn from others experiences. :thumbsup:

when your done with that...do this as well and you will no longer have slack in your throttle (turning it partially before it will actually give it gas) once these cables are tight your throttle response will be alot better

100_1385.jpg

Be extra careful when adjusting the throttle cable though ... make sure that after adjusting the RPMs don't change when you turn the handle bars to full stop.
If cables are to tight and the bars are turned the engine will rev-up a lil bit, I think it's when the bars are turned full left. Not good in a low speed tight turn!!

Ol boy went caveman mechanic on it and bent the bracket right at the idle adjuster! That's some funny shiz right there! :rofl:

Last edited:
Back