2008 Busa cat glowing....?

notched

Registered
I have a 2008 Busa and I have Fatty pipe slip-ons with no computer or tune....
When I look down the pipes after a ride or idle in the garage the cat is red....?
Is this normal?
Also the bike pops and looses power from time to time....

Let me know what you got?

I have a 2008 Busa and I have Fatty pipe slip-ons with no computer or tune....
When I look down the pipes after a ride or idle in the garage the cat is red....?
Is this normal?
Also the bike pops and looses power from time to time....

Let me know what you got?

Lean?? Put the stock muffler's on and see if it cure's it. If so, I would get it tuned for the shorty's.

your cat is pluged ! dont know how but its plugged ,

take it off when it cools and see what it looks like inside ! i can bet the rock is broken ! have you bottomed out on your exhaust a few times or anyting like that !

Yeah the bike is lowered about 3 inches or so.. I bottomed out once kind of bad but not enough to crush the cats. I have two 1" circle dents in the bottom of the cats.. I just put the stock cans back on and it runs fine but with a little bit of a miss.... or sputter...?
????? I forgot to mention it is not the outside of the cat it is when you look down inside..... Any help?

Last edited:
i would still put the exhaust and see if anything comes falling out ! i can bet you cracked the rock in side and that is causeig to much back presure ,, i have seen it on a truck once , pops putters, and glows red !

good luck

Doubt if this is the cause, but has any leaded fuel been run through it~?~

Cam II, etc~?~

The core is a ceramic honeycomb with a platinum, palladium or rhodium coating. Any condition that significantly elevates its temperature, brings the risk of a meltdown of the material and severe exhaust restriction.

Don't just throw out the old catalytic converter, Mr Scrappy at the scrap yard will pay a pretty penny for that platinum.

catalytic-converter-catalyst.jpg

Ceramic honeycomb catalyst structure.

Last edited:
I spoke with the dealer tech guy at my local dealership and they told me that the cats glow and it is normal... I put the stock cans on and changed the plugs. It seems to run fine. I will see once the weather breaks and I can put a load on the motor.....

No leaded fuel.... why?

From what I hear, cats are the biggest reason why the newer bikes don't like the leaded fuels...they say it clogs the cat and builds up more heat~!~

Just what I hear~!!~

Back