Speedometer

rdnckjim

Registered
My spedo likes to shut off randomly. It happened once and I disconnected the battery and it came back. It seems like it shuts off after the bike has been moving for like 5 mins. What sensors should I look for. Im gonna take the front end apart and see if something disconected from the cluster. But it still cycles when I turn the key, so im not really expecting to find the problem there. It seems to come back online after the bike has been sitting for a while and not running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to take the bike on our flightline where the jets run and going over the speed limit can get your butt kicked in by the Air Force. Thanks guys

I don't know what ur problem is, but there is only 1 plug on the back of the instrument cluster. You can download the service manual from this site too. Is it a gen1 or 2?

had simular issues with corroded multiplugs under the left dash panel ??
not the speedo but other electrical gremlins

I took it apart again, cleaned the speed sensor, voltage when the bike was running at idle was 15.1 vdc and that seemed a little high to me. I have HID lights but this was happening before the lights. The speedometer moved once up to 20 mph and back down while i hit the throttle in neutral and not moving.That confused the hell out of me. Ill start disconnecting plugs and looking at them. But ive run out of ideas. Could the combo or Power Commander, hids, and alarm do this. I have a new voltage regulator on order just because mine looks beat up. The bike did get wrecked when I was hit by another rider causing me to go down with the bike. And have heard that it could be the cause. That and im now seeing moitsure in the guage cluster. TOO many things going on at once im losing my mind. Any ideas would be so fin appreciated, im all out of them and im one of like 2 military guys over here riding a busa and he has no clue either. How much can a new cluster cost?

i would start by checking connections , alot of electrical problems are found to be corrosion or moisture in plugs, keep us posted :thumbsup:

Fun story I unplugged the speed sensor harness and water came pouring out after some q tips and electrical cleaner and grease and a lot of electrical tape, I think I may have fixed it but work once again calls me.

Back