maybe someone here can help

scoutmanii74

Registered
I have a 2008 hayabusa and it's got a problem. It has yoshamera exhaust and a power commander. it can only run for a few minutes and the pipes up by the heads start glowing red. I've had the power commander checked and it's ok. I've tried richening it up. I've had people tell me it's lean and some tell me it's rich. can a rich condition di that. I hope someone can help me.

hi, it does sound lean, and lean is indeed very bad.

how many miles are on your bike? when did the problem start? did you notice a performance loss, or did you just happen to look at your pipes? how are the spark plugs burning?

no fi codes?

i have a 2004, so i dont have the mode switch, but does this occur in all three settings?

Asking some of the others w/ more experience in FI, but could plugged injectors cause this condition?

It has 1700 miles on it.I bought it with about 1500. Me and a buddy was riding side by side and he could hear a noise. So we pulled over a saw the pipes and the noise was caming from the top end. No codes and haven't looked at plugs yet. Could the after market exhaust lean it out that much. It didn't effect my 2000 ZX12 R that bad.

No, the exhaust is not the problem. Did it do this before the pc, or was that on it when you bought it? I'de say put the fuel map back to stock, but if you've disconnected it, it should reset to factory settings, you could disconnect the battery just to be sure. Is the "noise" still there? I hate to say, but a noise from the top end and glowing pipes is NOT GOOD! A plugged injector is not impossible, but very unlikely with low miles.
Again, the exhaust isn't the problem, you can run a completely stock bike with full exhaust and have no problems at all. The pc will just give u a better fuel map to make the bike run smoother throughout the rpm range.
Your pc has the pushbuttons to lean or richen it, correct? I'm not familiar enough with that model to know if you could actually lean it out enough to cause damage. I guess that's possible, but I wouldn't want to say for sure.
I don't wanna jump to conclusions, but I hope someone didn't screw it up and pass it along to you. If you can give a few more details, like, did u adjust anything before u noticed the problem? How long did it take u to do 200 miles? For example, did it take u a month, and then the problem popped up? Or did u ride all 200 in a day or so, and it happened? Or was it something u wouldn't have noticed if ur buddy didn't point it out, so the timeframe didn't matter.
I've got a couple suspisions, but there are a few folks on here that will be able to tell u exactly what's going on. This post just hasn't caught the right eye yet.

No, the exhaust is not the problem. Did it do this before the pc, or was that on it when you bought it? I'de say put the fuel map back to stock, but if you've disconnected it, it should reset to factory settings, you could disconnect the battery just to be sure. Is the "noise" still there? I hate to say, but a noise from the top end and glowing pipes is NOT GOOD! A plugged injector is not impossible, but very unlikely with low miles.
Again, the exhaust isn't the problem, you can run a completely stock bike with full exhaust and have no problems at all. The pc will just give u a better fuel map to make the bike run smoother throughout the rpm range.
Your pc has the pushbuttons to lean or richen it, correct? I'm not familiar enough with that model to know if you could actually lean it out enough to cause damage. I guess that's possible, but I wouldn't want to say for sure.
I don't wanna jump to conclusions, but I hope someone didn't screw it up and pass it along to you. If you can give a few more details, like, did u adjust anything before u noticed the problem? How long did it take u to do 200 miles? For example, did it take u a month, and then the problem popped up? Or did u ride all 200 in a day or so, and it happened? Or was it something u wouldn't have noticed if ur buddy didn't point it out, so the timeframe didn't matter.
I've got a couple suspisions, but there are a few folks on here that will be able to tell u exactly what's going on. This post just hasn't caught the right eye yet.

A plugged injector would also cause a miss, or rough idle. Don't think that's it.

It had the pc on it already. It may have been doing it all alone. And I wouldn't think a cloged injector because it's all 4 pipes. thats why i keep thinking mapping. but I ran my 12 without a pc and never had this problem and never seen anyone else with it either. and it may have been doing it before and just never noticed until the noise. And it was a couple of weeks of riding when it wasn't cold out. I tried richening the low end of the pc with the buttons. I need to find a place to have it dyno tuned. But it still souldn't be that bad. Could the valve train be the problem.Like the exhaust valves aren't closing all the way.

It had the pc on it already. It may have been doing it all alone. And I wouldn't think a cloged injector because it's all 4 pipes. thats why i keep thinking mapping. but I ran my 12 without a pc and never had this problem and never seen anyone else with it either. and it may have been doing it before and just never noticed until the noise. And it was a couple of weeks of riding when it wasn't cold out. I tried richening the low end of the pc with the buttons. I need to find a place to have it dyno tuned. But it still souldn't be that bad. Could the valve train be the problem.Like the exhaust valves aren't closing all the way.

IF, you remove the pc and disconnect the battery it should reset the to the stock fuel map...and theorectically, you should no longer have a problem. But if you still have a noise, shut it off. I'm no expert by far, but if the problem persists, sounds like there may be some internal damage.
I pm'd smithabusa earlier and ask him to look at this thread when he had time(said he was very busy) he knows more than most when it comes to tuning and should be able to tell u what's going on.

Unhooked the battery + and - and every wire on the pc to each injector and the throttle position to make sure it was unhooked. hooked it back up and ran it within a few minutes the pipes started turning red. The only time it makes the noise is when the pipes get red.

Dont know if this helps but that same thing happened to my buddies camry and his mechanic told him to just go buy spark plug wires and it stopped the redness in the header

:poke: i wouldn't be run-in the bike in a lean condition at all...find the problem..your gona have a nice paper weight if you keep doing trial and error with it lean...take the pc completly off...hook the injector wires back up to the injectors..put pc on a bench and leave it....if it runs lean after that..i would think one of the (air box) sensors is bad and feeding the ecu false information, you may have a hose come off one of those sensors as well

I have yoshi full exhaust R77. I took my sides off looking for something unhooked and the sensor on the exhuast is unhooked and it has a plug with a jumper in it is that right. Or did whoever put it on do something they souldn't have.

I have yoshi full exhaust R77. I took my sides off looking for something unhooked and the sensor on the exhuast is unhooked and it has a plug with a jumper in it is that right. Or did whoever put it on do something they souldn't have.

The oxygen sensor is unhooked and jumped? If so, that sounds like the problem. It's measuring the air/fuel ratio and telling the computer what adjustments to make, if it's unhooked, that's why your lean.
Reconnect it, leave the pc off for now, and then try it. Hopefully that will fix it and no major damage has been done.

Back