I think I have a clutch problem?

Jet Li

What is the AWESOME????
Donating Member
Registered
Symptoms:

From stop, pull clutch in press down into 1st gear and get a hard knock while bike shifts into 1st, also makes whole bike jump forward ever so slightly?? The knock kind of reminds me of when you get a free play on the old pinball machines................

Also after letting out clutch in 1st gear, begin rolling and almost immediately feel a knock from down low like near the shift lever???

Bike runs well, starts with no problems, any ideas??

Thanks ???

Symptoms:

From stop, pull clutch in press down into 1st gear and get a hard knock while bike shifts into 1st, also makes whole bike jump forward ever so slightly?? The knock kind of reminds me of when you get a free play on the old pinball machines................

Also after letting out clutch in 1st gear, begin rolling and almost immediately feel a knock from down low like near the shift lever???

Bike runs well, starts with no problems, any ideas??

Thanks ???

No help just a bump back to the top..

Hope you get her figured out before the 14th Pappy's looking forward to riding with you..

No help just a bump back to the top..

Hope you get her figured out before the 14th Pappy's looking forward to riding with you..

Thanks Doyle. Wish you and Mary could be here too!

Tom

How many miles on the bike, when was your last oil change? When its close to needing a oil change the tranmission can make more noise!

How many miles on the bike, when was your last oil change? When its close to needing a oil change the tranmission can make more noise!

25K miles, last oil change was last week...............................???

I think it may be two different issues. The clunk and jump into first from neutral sounds like a clutch that is on its way out. Have you changed it before?
Is the knock when taking off kinda like a "Clacking" sound?

where is the lever during actuation? (where is the lever when the clutch engages/disengages)

if the plates are dragging, it will make things "clunk" pretty hard when dropping in to gear..

could have air in the system or even low on fluid (leak?) does the lever feel pretty normal?

Put it on a stand and check the play in the cush drive, sounds like that is what you are describing. At least if that is not it, then you can look internally.

Last edited:
I think it may be two different issues. The clunk and jump into first from neutral sounds like a clutch that is on its way out. Have you changed it before?
Is the knock when taking off kinda like a "Clacking" sound?

No, still original clutch. I really take it easy on her, but I guess the clutch could be wearing out.

Yeah, a "clack" is a good way to describe it.

where is the lever during actuation? (where is the lever when the clutch engages/disengages)

if the plates are dragging, it will make things "clunk" pretty hard when dropping in to gear..

could have air in the system or even low on fluid (leak?) does the lever feel pretty normal?

Clutch lever is about 2 finger widths from the grip when engaged.

Looked at fluid level, that is good.

You ride pretty conservative from what I have seen, can't see it being a clutch problem....

Spoke with MR Brown on the phone,

Just let me say, What a really nice guy!! Top notch!

Anyway, when I start her up in neutral on the stand my real wheel begins to turn! Very good for oiling the chain, I guess! LOL

Only about 1" of play in the cush drive area.

Fluid is like the color of tea, so will bleed system. Also I think I will change out the clutch. Mr Brown went over in depth about this procedure and actually seems very easy.

Will update when done.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Spoke with MR Brown on the phone,

Just let me say, What a really nice guy!! Top notch!
Sshh, you will ruin what some people here think of me!!!! I have worked hard to cultivate others' low opinion of me!:rofl:

Anyway, when I start her up in neutral on the stand my real wheel begins to turn! Very good for oiling the chain, I guess! LOL

Only about 1" of play in the cush drive area.

Fluid is like the color of tea, so will bleed system. Also I think I will change out the clutch. Mr Brown went over in depth about this procedure and actually seems very easy.

Will update when done.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Glad I could help,and hope it solves the problem. If not, at least you added something to the list of things you know how to do.....:beerchug:

What does the rear tire turning on rear stand in neutral indicate?
Posted via Mobile Device

Back