Considering a 99 busa tomorrow please help

cbibb

Registered
I am considering trading my 2002 warrior (with a ton of work) for a 99 busa. The owner said that it has a big bore kit in it and was rebuilt about 4,000 miles ago. I have owned a 05 busa and I know about some sort of serious starter problem with the early models. Is there any way to tell if the bike truly has a big bore kit? Also what is the remedy for the started problem and is there anything I can look for to see if it has been done? Thank you very much!!

am not a fan of "used" sport bikes, much less one with HP work done on them....

Now if the guy will go on an all day ride with you to show the bike is sound? MIGHT consider but IMHO...

I just think "New" is a good idea with machines designed to be beat senseless...

am not a fan of "used" sport bikes, much less one with HP work done on them....

Now if the guy will go on an all day ride with you to show the bike is sound? MIGHT consider but IMHO...

I just think "New" is a good idea with machines designed to be beat senseless...

I agree, But would love to have a Copper 99 in the garage.

I am considering trading my 2002 warrior (with a ton of work) for a 99 busa. The owner said that it has a big bore kit in it and was rebuilt about 4,000 miles ago. I have owned a 05 busa and I know about some sort of serious starter problem with the early models. Is there any way to tell if the bike truly has a big bore kit? Also what is the remedy for the started problem and is there anything I can look for to see if it has been done? Thank you very much!!

If you are not especially 'mechanically talented or interested' I'd recommend you take it to a mechanic and have him give a serious once-over. Tell him what you know about it. If he charges you for it, consider it an investment in a smart decision.

Good luck!

:beerchug:

Its a red bike (aftermarket paint). I am no pro, but I do know my way around a bike pretty decent. I have adjusted all my own valves, broken them down to the frame, rebuilt carbs etc. Pretty much do all of my own wrenching (dont trust anyone else). The HP upgrades are not a big deal to me. What I mean by that, is that alot of people "claim" to have it done, but its bone stock inside (again, thats fine with me). So unless he has documentation, I am assuming its a stock bore bike. Oh, and I would LOVE to buy new, but my wallet just wont allow that lol. Thanks for the input guys.

Good luck with it!! Scar does have a point, having a 3rd party professional look at the bike would be a good move... Problem with "us" as the owner/riders is we get sort of emotionally motivated... (bad news buying toys you are emotional about ) :)

Definitely need to get that bike checked out before you buy. It's painted so it has probably been wrecked. It's supposedly been built so it has been ridden hard. Hate to see you get this thing and then be one of those guy posting on here about all the problems he is having.

If it has a 24v starter (2 batteries) it probably has a big bore. Look and see if there is gasket material showing anywhere on the block, this will be a sign of a big bore also. Look at the wiring to see if it still has the factory wrap around it. Call the vin number in to your local Suzi dealer and make sure the cam chain tensioner recall was done. If the starter sounds like it is dragging, or kicks back it will need an upgrade. Most of all get a sense of how it was used from the cat selling it. If anything seems shady walk away. There are lots of used Busa's out there, you don't have to get this particular one. A lot of us tend to act like the one we are looking at is the only one in existence sometimes....

definitely need to get that bike checked out before you buy. It's painted so it has probably been wrecked. It's supposedly been built so it has been ridden hard. Hate to see you get this thing and then be one of those guy posting on here about all the problems he is having.

+100

Definitely need to get that bike checked out before you buy. It's painted so it has probably been wrecked. It's supposedly been built so it has been ridden hard. Hate to see you get this thing and then be one of those guy posting on here about all the problems he is having.

Yeah, I agree with RacerV. Find a bone stock Busa, any year, with a few scratches on the stock exhausts, now yur talkin'!

Thanks for all the great feedback. It looks as though he will be coming tomorrow instead. I was thinking the same thing about the gasket material ( I try to use that theory when looking at race cars). Unfortunately I am one of the more knowledgeable people in my group, and I dont trust ANY of the dealers around here. What is the upgrade they are doing to the starter? I was told that the newer (03 and up) wont work. I always assume with a custom paint job that it has been at lest laid down, I am going to see if he will let me pull some of the plastics to see a little deeper. He seems like a straight up guy from the conversations I have had so far. I will report back tomorrow and let you guys know. Again, many thanks for the help.

03 and up starter set up can be made to work, PM Golden Child and ask him what is needed and what it will cost. A worthwhile investment that I will be doing to my 00 this winter.

ok guys, I ended up getting the bike, the guy let me know that it was in fact a 2000 not a 99 (my bad). It doesnt look like its ever been wrecked (it did fall over on the sidestand however) but it didnt crack anything, just a few light scratches. The custom paint is a batman theme (not my style) apparently because he really does play a batman character. He was a 50 year old gentlemen and a super nice guy. I dont see any issues with the bike at all BUT I did hear the starter make a slight clunk as the bike was starting up. It did start up quickly though, I did not have to hold the button for more than a second or two. SO I know I will need a starter upgrade, should I do s Mr.Brown suggested and upgrade to an 03 starter or are there other alternatives?? Thanks again for all the help guys!!! Chris Oh and I will get some pics up in the next week, its filthy right now as he got caught in a hurricane force downpour on the way here.

Back