Leaky Gasket

suzuka1980

Registered
I changed my leaky Right side crankcase gasket last week, because it was leaking.

1 week later, my Left side is leaking now!! Super irritated by what is happening. I wonder how this could have happened.

THe worse part is that the amount of engine oil getting leaked is so much more than what was previously leaked by the Right side.....

really sucks!

:poke:they make a pill for that sort of thing:laugh:....i would think that after 10-11 years if thats the only thing wrong, your really lucky...get her fixed up and treat her to a nice shine

couple things:(find exactly where the leak is if possible, brake clean and foot powder work wonders)

The obvious is "clean clean clean" old gasket or bad prep? = return oil leaks
Crankcase vent not obstructed? (I know not likely but easy to check) Odds are good you just have some tired gaskets.. others are likely to follow suit as well... good time to clean huh? :)

Dont use a cheap gasket? $$ are that way for a reason..

Now the not so obvious:
is cover flat? could have been over-torqued in the past and not flat any longer..

piece of glass and 400g wet/dry paper works like a charm..

Wet the glass
lay the full sheet of wet/dry on a sheet of glass (a mirror works fine)
Wet the paper, now lay cover on wet/dry and make a few sweeps..

lift the cover and take a peek.. massage until flat.. Glass is amazingly flat and works as good as any "mill" or "grinder" for truing cover surfaces

Also, where the case halves meet (engine side) it takes a spot of sealant at the seam to stop seepage.. (as per service manual)

Last edited:
Check your breather hose - the hose that goes from the engine breather to the back/middle of the airbox. Make sure that it is connected properly and not kinked . . .:rulez:

Back