bike surges guess what gear

hennesseycpl

Registered
ok heres the deal was riding a few days ago and my 06 with 6k miles just cut out around 9k rpm in you guessed it 2nd gear powers fine to 9k rpm sometimes passes to 10k rpm depending on how hard i throttle it. it feels almost like a chain or rear end issue even though i keep reading the 2nd gear issues:banghead: i dont ride wheelies ever i do accelerate hard through the gears from time to time never been to the track only mods are pc3 bolt on cans and bmc air filter. i always use clutch to shift its not going into neutral its just kinda feels like its cutting out or hiccuping ive never tried to keep pushing it passed it i just shift and then its fine havnt tried it in other gears since then either bcause i dont want to break something namely me . so my question is two fold. any ideas what the problem is and any one know a good shop in oklahoma and please dont suggest the dealership because i've had my feel of those buttholes. thanks for any help.

Last edited:
The second gear issues are:
hard shifting into second and missing shifts,
and the bike popping out of gear when in second.
It does not sound like a chain or rear end issue to me, but do you go over 9K in other gears and it is fine?
Does it sound like the engine shuts off for a second, or does it just not go above 9k?

i did until this happened but not since ive taken the bike out and had it do it 3 times today under hard acceleration but under light throttle it will go passed due to the speed at that rpm in third im afraid of crashing honestly ive never tried to push it passed the 9k in 2nd since it screwed up

i wouldnt say it shuts down just seems like maybe a hiccup like hiting rev limiter or something i also just remembered this when this started it was right after the battery had to be charged from sitting too long dont know if that means anything b ut did reflash pc3 just to be sure but it still did it

old gas maybe ??? THe Gas is two or three months old havnt been riding due to knee injury tank is getting low fuel light came on when i pulled back in the drive

before the last time i drove it i uninstalled the tre i had due to it looking like it was ground down on one end couldnt tell if it was melted or rubbing didnt really see where it could have been doing either anyway i just unhooked it

Last edited:
The TRE won't do it IMO.
Check the kickstand spring for tension.
If it is bouncing it will cut off the motor - (safety feature).
You could also try some Fuel system cleaner.
I use BG44K, other guys have used Seafoam, Techron etc.

Look inside your tank for trash or rust.. I had a friends bike do this and found that the fuel pump screen was plugged.. Doesn't take muchon these bikes

like 1000 rpm on idle if i remember right i had it on the laptop earlier will check again in the morning or maybe after dinner its really bugging me

Last edited:
wont go passed 9k i was in it hard the first time it happened and it wouldnt push passed been too nervous to push it for fear of major damage or wrecking you really think i should judt hold it and see what happens or are you just friends with my ex-wife lol

ive read a few things about the kickstand causing a similar issue but seems weird it would do it in 2nd and not in 1st i can wind 1st all the way to redline and then shift into 2nd also i can rev in neutral and it will go passed 9k i know that has nothing to do with the stand just giving more info

Last edited:
Not 12K. Adjust your idle to 1200 RPMs or 1250 RPMs and see if it fixes the problem. From memory the torque dies around 9.4K on the Gen I I think the limit is around 10 - 10.2K.

ive read a few things about the kickstand causing a similar issue but seems weird it would do it in 2nd and not in 1st i can wind 1st all the way to 1050k and then shift into 2nd also i can rev in neutral and it will go passed 9k i know that has nothing to do with the stand just giving more info

You are travelling faster in second and the road surface can cause the kickstand to jump sometimes.

ok idles 1180 to 1240 confirmed on tach and laptop also tach matches laptop when reved heled it at 4k and both matched so bike reading rpm right i think

so what would be a way to eliminate the kickstand issue or to diagnose it or both

Also I want to thank everyone for the help and sugestions

so what would be a way to eliminate the kickstand issue or to diagnose it or both

Also I want to thank everyone for the help and sugestions

If it was me I would tie up the kickstand so it won't come down, and then test it.
But BE CAREFUL, you will need help, or a rear stand to balance the bike while you tie and untie it.
JMO

i see broken fairing in my future lol ill try it wednesday when the girlyfriend is home and see what happens what would be the fix if thats it a new spring or the sensor

Get some fresh fuel and run two tanks (10 gallons) of gas through the bike mixed with some fuel injector cleaner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back