Starter problem (Sorry!)

skettle

Registered
First off, hello all! Last Friday I finally(!), after 6 years of riding made my way up to my dream bike and am absolutely loving her. She's a 2000 busa with 19k miles in blue and silver and I think I'm in love.

I do have a problem though. When I've been out on her and she's warm, up to about halfway on the temp gauge, and I turn the ignition off she then won't start. There is a loud 'clicking', I would say louder than when you have a dying battery but it just will not go enough to fire. In the couple of times that it has happened it has worked fine after leaving the bike for half an hour.

There is a receipt in with all of my bits for a brand new starter relay bought and fitted by the previous owner in July of this year at a cost of over £300.

Any ideas? Thanks to all.

:welcome: to the oRg. Good luck with the problem and check out the search feature. It's your friend. :thumbsup:

Apologies, I looked absolutely everywhere for the search button before giving up and registering to post a new thread. It has now appeared! Gotta be a member to search eh :thumbsup:

So, after searching, it's looking like it could still be that I need a high output battery.

Another quick question, would it still be clicking if it was a problem with the kickstand or tilt sensors?

Apologies, I looked absolutely everywhere for the search button before giving up and registering to post a new thread. It has now appeared! Gotta be a member to search eh :thumbsup:

So, after searching, it's looking like it could still be that I need a high output battery.

Another quick question, would it still be clicking if it was a problem with the kickstand or tilt sensors?

No. And unless the motor has been modified you shouldn't need a different battery than what came from the factory.

You guys are good, cheers.

Will stick in a new battery and see how we do. My last question, promise! Why would the battery need more power to start it cold than when it's warm?

Check the rectifier and starter. Have you gone through the trouble shooting guide in the shop manual? I'm betting it's the rectifier. Does the bike have the '03 starter upgrade?

It's not that the battery needs more power when warm, over time heat degrades a battery, how old is yours? Before you spring for a new one, I'd have the old one load tested. Most of your autoparts places do it free.

Bruh, I had the same problem. When the bike was hot it wouldn't start. You can also push start it! I had to do this a few times. Ok, next time open your gas tank release vapor. If you could do a search next item could be the battery. Your battery may be weak, keep it on a tender. I'm running 24v (dual batteries).

BEFORE you buy a new battery (unless you just got too much money laying around)..

just hook up a set of jumper cables... (ENGINE OFF ON DONOR VEHICLE!!!) and try to start the bike.. IF you have the motor running on the vehicle you are borrowing the battery power from, you can fry stuff or even blow up a battery..

If you get past this step and no joy.... post back up..

before guessing and throwing away money test it. see if you have proper voltage at the starter. big wire with a boot on it, while trying to crank it. if voltage is good then it needs a starter, if not then battery, connection, or battery not charging properly. resistance is more when hot causeing a need for more voltage than when cold. hope this helps,

Welcome!

:welcome:

Check the battery. Here is what it should be:
Also do what Mr. Bogus said and see if that works.

Batt Voltage.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, going to give the battery test a go before anything.

However, things have gone worse since and the bike has now completely cut out on me during riding twice, yesterday and today, with the FI light coming on and not allowing me to try to start. I've just read about checking the code I'm getting so I'll do that next time. The thing is, the FI light was on last night but this morning she fired up fine.

So gutted, when she's going she's amazing but I just can't be doing with another unreliable bike....

starting to sound more like battery or charging system.. just cutting off could be from low voltange... just do the basic checks right now so you have a starting point..

if it fires up on the jump, you know the battery or the charging system is suspect.. (dirty connections are also an issue as are bad grounds)

but you gotta start at one end and work your way across... I prefer to start at the beginning myself (battery)

Thought I'd stick up an update to help anyone else that may have this problem now or in the future.

I had the bike taken back to the dealer that I bought it from and they were great about it, promised that they'd sort it out as soon as possible. I got a call from them today to say that they had found a couple of bad grounds (just as you said Mr Bogus :thumbsup:) and a problem with the alarm which was causing the immobiliser to cut in whilst riding.

I've just ridden her back 20+ miles from them and it seems fine. I am one very happy busa owner right now! Shame I've got 6 months until summer!

Back