Gold Finish on Front Brake Callipers

combatfred

Registered
Hey Guys,

I've a 2007 model with the gold brake callipers. The finish on the front callipers is flaking off and basically looks like crap. This started within the warranty period, but I've been battling with Suzuki GB for the last 6 months, but I'm being told that it's my fault due to poor cleaning and that they have no record of any other problems with the finish.

The bike has done 12000 miles and is in otherwise good condition. It's not been riden through a Scottish winter, but has seen the odd bit of road salt on a winter ride, but has been thoroughly cleaned and rinsed afterwards just like all my other bikes.

Have any of you guys had similar problems?

Cheers

Fred

Not yet

Wouldnt mind a different color Caliper though.

Thinking of painting mine black.

If you not getting any where with Suzuki, i would either have them Powder coated, or buy set off ebay!

No problems with caliper finish. I ride year round, bit so try to avoid riding when there is salt on the road.

Welcome!

:welcome:

That shoudln't happen. I haven't heard of it before.
I think it should be covered under warranty, JMO, so keep fighting, and good luck!

My dealer has always taken care of me. The dealers actually make money on warranty work.

Thanks guy,

It should be covered under warranty, but Suzuki in the UK are puting up a fight. They say that it doesn't happen very often, so it must be down to me not cleaning my bike properly. I've been fighting with them for 6 months and now have an "independant" concilliation service involved (that's actually paid for by the UK motor and motorcycle manufacturers and importers). I'll just keep on fighting. The rest of the bike is in good condition, but the brake callipers are a freaking embarassment.

I'd love to avoid contact with road salt, but I live in Scotland and it's on the roads for 4 or 5 months of the year. That sucks big time.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Ride safe.

Fred

My 07 had the same deal.
After about 10k they started to look like crap.
After an unfortunate incident when I forgot I had a padlock on the disk, I had to replace one cal.
Bought 1 from a member here. A black one, from an older bike.
It looked beta than mine!
Though in all fairness he didn't ride as much as I do.
But last may it was stolen, I'm on an 07 zx10 that has better brakes radial calipers.
You might consider converting to 08 radials, as that guy had.
Craig
Posted via Mobile Device

Mine are the same way. Never seen salt,brake fluid etc. Only 4800 miles. I am positive its not from not cleaning mine,maybe cleaning to much.
Posted via Mobile Device

I painted mine...

FrontWheel.JPGRearWheel.JPG

FrontWheel.JPG

RearWheel.JPG

Back