Throttle surge / hard starting

tarock

Registered
So I cant find any information on this, but my throttle surges about +200 rpms when i pull in the clutch. Is this normal? I also tried to sync my carbs and they all hold the same level but seem to surge up and down on the stick when i had them plugged in. As a result of my syncing, I have also had extremely hard starting problems. 4-5 secs plus throttle just to get it to pop. Right now bike is feeling like crap with having these sort of problems. Again the throttle surges when pulling in the clutch, and when synced, the levels seem to rise up and down together on the manometer. Just wondering if these might play into why my bike does not want to start? Thanks.

i put it on and then put it off just cuz it doesnt seem to help. I usually turn it off and then milk the throttle till it starts and then i will put it back on.

It should run at 3500 RPM with that on when the engine is warm.
Here is how to adjust it.
I would start there regarding the hard starting problem.
It may help it a lot.

Fast Idle.jpg

wow thanks i had no idea you could adjust that haha!!!! So now what about the rpms goin up when I pull in the clutch?

Do the RPM's go up when it is in gear and you pull in the clutch or when you are still and it is in neutral?

I just thought of one thing as well...once the bike is warmed up I am having an almost harder time getting it started.

the rpms will go up when i am in nuetural and stays up when i shift into gears...it probably goes up i would say 200 rpms

Try setting your idle at 1400 rpm.
I have always run mine there - much smoother and better oil pressure (I installed a gauge) than 1150.
If it gets really hot outside and you are in heavy traffic, you may have to watch the temp. but I don't :laugh: so that is not a problem.
Try it and see.
The harder starting when hot is common and they make a 24 volt starter mod (second battery) if it gets real troublesome.

Last edited:
On start up the oil is thicker and if you pull in the clutch, the engine may speed up.
Try setting the fast idle, the idle to 1400, and letting it warm up fully and see if it still does it.

ok well the max that my fast idle can be adjusted is to 2200rpm, then the back hits a stop. I also had the bike running for about 20 min warmed up and if i pulled in the clutch it still would increase the idle. I was messing with my PCIII and the bike seems to increase idle and then decrease at times. But putting idle at 1400 seems to work the best for smoother running. And yes I do have a TRE, K&N filter, and PCIII with bolt on viper exhaust. The bike fired right off after it was warmed up. Will report tomorrow if it has problems firing again cold.

Any loose vaccum hoses or electrical connections? How long has this been a problem? Do you have any modifications?

Last edited:
P.S. the idle when warm still pulses +-200 rpms

Mine does that too until I ride it for a bit.
After about 20 minutes, when I stop it settles right down.
I think it is the extra heat generated by running it that long, then it works better.
Anyone else?

With syncing TB recently and installing the PCIII today, I am pretty sure all my connectors and vaccum lines are in place. For some reasons she seems to be running better after I got her all back to gether. ???

I have viper bolt-on exhaust (just hollow cans) and yes it is about 45-50 degrees here, but when i have her running warm and hit the throttle hard i get some exhaust fumes that are slightly white, but should I be worrying about this since I have a PCIII hooked up?

I synced carbs, put new plugs in, added k&n filter, PCIII, and TRE all at the same time...since i put her back together I have had this hard starting/ruff idle problem (starting may or may not be fixed now, we will see when she cools down).

Back