Gas Mileage?

Cocky1

Registered
I just got a new to me 06 Busa with 5100 on the clock. It looks to be mostly stock with the expection of bolt on Jardine exhaust. The speedo seems to be way off as well. When I am driving near or even slighty above the posted limits I get minivan flyby's. When I keep up with traffic it looks like I am runnign about 20mph over.

Here is the main question. I left out yesteday with about 3/4 of a tank and about 50 miles run. I got home after about 40 more and was in the red. What type of distance are you guys getting? Is there something wrong that I need to investigate? It seems that my 124ci Chopper is getting futher on a tank and its 3.5 gal.

I was not running it hard and only went over 6k on the tach a few times. easy cruising except for a couple giggle moments.

Looking for a little advise.

Thanks

My speedo was about 10% fast. Indicated 70 was actually 63.

I got 35-40 MPG regular, 170-200 miles a tank.

Sounds like you have track gearing. What RPM are you running at 60 MPH?

I agree....someone added a couple of extra teeth on the sprocket/s.....counting the teeth on the rear sprocket would be a good start to your answer.

I run my RPM's pretty high most of the time, and get pretty crappy mileage. When I do longer slab rides I conserve and actually put it in 6th and get fairly decent.
But in the twisties and on the streets not so good. Just my style of riding and my 2cts.
Bubba

Oh yeah...almost forgot, I get about 150 miles per tank....sometimes. :laugh:

Yep the 20mph fast speedo, and bad mileage, screams lower gearing than stock :laugh: I bet she boogies when you twist the loud handle tho...

About the only things mine won't pass are a cop and a gas station,even if i hold it at a steady 70 on the freeway i can't seem to get more than 35-36 mpg(18/43 gearing with a Stage 1)but i think i'm a little on the rich side.

Mine has performance intake filter and exhaust pipes. I can make 170~190 miles with a tank (21L). I ride 35 miles with the gas light on.

I usually try not to speed up the engine in lower gear's (mostly <4000rom, rarely >5000rpm). In 6º gear i usually ride at 4500~5500rpm (90~110mph).

I only bought the busa a month ago, but for now this is my idea of an economic driving.

Depending on the gear 6000rpm's is far for economic. I think that idea about non-stock gear ratios might be a good lead.

I count 41 on the rear sprocket. Without taking a lot of the fairings off I dont think I can get to the front to check.

Thoughts?

hey, im new to the site. i just got my busa(06 limited...sweet), and i was having the same issue. Is it better to ride in 5th or 6th gear on the highway to get better mileage?

I just changed chain and sprockets, 17/42. It's a whole different bike now. I like!

I just changed chain and sprockets, 17/42. It's a whole different bike now. I like!
Now put a 16 on the front and you'll REALLY like :laugh:
BTW Cocky1, 17/40 is stock gearing for a first gen busa, so you're one tooth up in back, and prolly one down in front as well, going by your mpg.

Back