New chain jerking off while on rear stand

spikyboo

Registered
I went to lube my chain, which is one month old, as the two sprocket are.... so I put the bike on the rear stand to get the wheel off the ground, started the engine and put it in 1rst gear.... the chain was not turning smooth... I mean its like if it was thighten then loosen and the bottom of it went up and down as it happens.... its kinda like the sprocket was not round.... but as I said, both sprocket are new.... is this normal? What should I check?

DO not do anything with your chain while the bike is running in gear

some people around here have lost thumbs and fingers that way

DO not do anything with your chain while the bike is running in gear

some people around here have lost thumbs and fingers that way

Don't worry I know, I didn't cleaned the chain while the bike is in gear.... I know some has lost some limbs... I just lubed it with the little red extension hose, so my hands are not too close from the chain....

So the jumping of the chain while on rear stand is normal? Cause I don't have any problems at all while driving... so... ???

You have a little bounce, typically because the engine idle is not perfect. New chain, new sprockets. Wouldn't expect any issues, however I would check the alignment and make sure everything is tight..... Let us know what you find. Have you checked the cush drive ?

The jumping is worse if the engine is cold. Give it a little throttle when it is on the stand and see if it smooths out.

The jumping is worse if the engine is cold. Give it a little throttle when it is on the stand and see if it smooths out.

Yes I started the bike cold and let it warm up while the wheel was spinning to warm the chain a little bit before applying the lube.... once warmed up, the chain was jumping at idle speed, but as soon as I gave it a little throttle, the jumping disappeared... that only occur on idle... by the way the alignement is perfect, I double checked it with a vernier...

Normal for a Gen1 especially when it's cold...the idle jumps around causing some chain slap.

Hey Tuf.
You had some problems with out of round rear sprokets didn't you?
I remember reading someone did, and thought it was you.

Yep, I had three Renthal Sprockets that had tight spots in them but that's not his problem. I've never had a chain run smooth without any slap. Watch your friends on group rides when cruising down the freeway, every chain in the bunch will have slap to it unless it's to tight. I have no idea why they all slap but they do!

Yep, I had three Renthal Sprockets that had tight spots in them but that's not his problem. I've never had a chain run smooth without any slap. Watch your friends on group rides when cruising down the freeway, every chain in the bunch will have slap to it unless it's to tight. I have no idea why they all slap but they do!

:thumbsup:

Back