Stolen Keys 2009- Replace lockset and ECU???

paulmac

Registered
I recently had my keys stolen (and key tag) for a 2009 Busa (they were in my laptop bag which was stolen from my car...). I have been told by my dealer that it is possible to retrieve the tag number through Suzuki, however i will have to replace the full lockset and ECU.

As the keys were stolen, I intended to replace the lockset but had no idea i would have had to replace the ECU as well.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter and advise whether I am being led down the garden path or is the security on 2009 models that good that everything has to be replaced.

Help please!!

All that you need is new locks.

I don't know this for a fact, but it makes since. I can't imagine and have never heard of the keys being chipped. I think someone is trying to rape u for the price of an ecu.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think maybe what the dealer is saying is that there is some kind of immobilizer? Is that possible? And, are they are saying that you need to replace the whole enchilada? I can't see that a key that ISN"T a "pass key" would change the way a lock open or closed. This isn't like it is a key to your Audi or Corvette.

Usually, replacing the whole key set, i.e., Ignition, Trunk and Fuel Cap would be the proper course of action?

Is insurance paying for this?

Instillation is easy and straight forward. Any one of us can help you through a transfer if it all falls on you to install.

It uses a standard key...ignition, gas cap, and tail section. No electronics involved.

The ECU has nothing to do with the key unless it's a NON-USA based bike. The Euro bikes have the immobilizer chip, not US bikes.

Hey Paul,, where do you live? Someone here could help you and have that whole thing changed out in less than one hour!

Do I hear 57 minutes? :whistle:

I'm in Australia - apparently the key has a chip that is encoded into the ECU. It's above my knowledge base but i find it ridiculous that I would have to change the entire 'enchilada'. Suzuki Australia say the same thing - change the lot - but i feel that I am talking to a tradey on the shop floor rather than someone who is technically expert in the 09 Busa's in Australia. Any help that you guys can give would be very much appreciated, as the cost of replacing keys, lockset and ECU is about 1/5th the cost of the entire machine!!

BTW - I have sent a letter attention to the Technical Dept Manager of Suzuki Australia to thoroughly investigate for me. Awaiting his response. I tried to track down a Japanese contact, but the website is infuriating as there is no "Contact Us"!!

that sux.

Hope it works out ok for you. Thats amazing to loose a $5 key and have to replace the ECU on a bike.

Yeah tell me about it. Something doesn't quite add up. I can't imagine Suzuki locking down the bike so well that everything had to be replaced. Again, if anyone has any knowledge or advice I'd appreciate the feedback. My insurance only covers about 1/4 of the repair costs. It's in the small print apparently.
Posted via Mobile Device

that sux.

Hope it works out ok for you. Thats amazing to loose a $5 key and have to replace the ECU on a bike.

I agree! I know the key cost a bit more than $5, but there should be a way for the ECU to learn the new key and erase the stolen key. At the dealership where I work we use a special machine to program new chipped keys to a vehicle. The consumer doesn't have to replace an ECU because they lost a key, a new key and reprogram is a bit pricey though!

There is a quick an easy test to see, if your bike sleeps inside a garage:whistle: Steal your own bike with out a key, get a flat head screw driver, present it to the ignition switch ram it in an twist if it starts you need not replace the ecu :laugh: and you needed a new ignition anyway... :laugh: I am a barbarian so you may not want to try this but it will answer the question. That s how easily the unsecured bikes disappear here. :down:

I'm in Australia - apparently the key has a chip that is encoded into the ECU. It's above my knowledge base but i find it ridiculous that I would have to change the entire 'enchilada'. Suzuki Australia say the same thing - change the lot - but i feel that I am talking to a tradey on the shop floor rather than someone who is technically expert in the 09 Busa's in Australia. Any help that you guys can give would be very much appreciated, as the cost of replacing keys, lockset and ECU is about 1/5th the cost of the entire machine!!

We have bikes built for the US market...if you do have a 'chip' in your key...then you might need more than just the locks :(

I agree! I know the key cost a bit more than $5, but there should be a way for the ECU to learn the new key and erase the stolen key. At the dealership where I work we use a special machine to program new chipped keys to a vehicle. The consumer doesn't have to replace an ECU because they lost a key, a new key and reprogram is a bit pricey though!

Do you mean the Busa or do you mean other vehicles?
Posted via Mobile Device

On the other hand, if an ECU was to break down, would that then mean I'd have to change the lockset and keys? Really something not right about what I'm being told.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
On the other hand, if an ECU was to break down, would that then mean I'd have to change the lockset and keys? Really something not right about what I'm being told.
Posted via Mobile Device

good point

Back