Headlight problems

newbusaman

Registered
Just bought my first Busa! It's a used 2000 model with a little over 3000 miles on it. My question pertains to the headlight. When I insert the key and turn to the ON position, my headlight comes on. As soon as I start the bike, the headlight turns off. I'm not really sure if it's me that is doing something wrong or there's a problem with the headlight. The high beams work fine though. What do I need to do to correct this problem ? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Does it have the stock headlight? Or has it been upgraded to HID?

If the latter, that's a common problem with 99-04 Busas. You will need to add a switch to manually turn off/on the HID or a delay timer to turn on the HID after starting.

I actually did both on mine. But the switch is only for maintenance/track days. I rely on the timer for daily use.

So the light goes out when U hit the starter & never comes back on?

Sounds like you have a HID and need to put in a delay like Omar (Omslaw) said :beerchug:

Wow !!! Quickest reply I've ever gotten before in any forumn ever ! I believe the light is of the kind you are talking about. It gives off that bright cool blue light like on newer model cars. When my friend delivered the bike the lights were working though. He even explained to me how it would be in my best interest to use both the regular light and the high beam at the same time. Do you think it may have been rigged or something ?

Nope, nothing was rigged - it's a common problem with 99-04 busas and HID. When you turn the key on, they HID (headlight) comes on....and stays on (meaning, power stays applied) even while starting. With some HID models, the current draw when starting is enough to turn off the HID. The only way to turn it back on is to remove power and reapply it. Of course, in a stock configuration, the only way to do that is to turn the key off and then back on...but then you're in a "catch-22" when you restart...the HID goes off again.

I had this exact problem and opted to put a delay timer in. When I turn the key on, the HID doesn't come on for 10 seconds. That's plenty of time for me to start the bike first. And while I was in there, I also wired a switch, so I can turn off the HID at any time (for maintenance or a track day).

Starting in '05, Suzuki put a relay on the starting circuit that kills power to the headlight while starting...so '05 and up don't have this problem...

Thanks a million for your help. I'm gonna ride to the local cycle shop when I get off work and get what you recommended. You guys are awesome !!!

:bowdown:

:welcome: aboard. If it does have the HID already installed as others have suggested, it will be much easier to install a switch as opposed to the delay timer. IMO, i like the switch better, gives me full function control of the headlight, like not blinding guys when I roll up to a crowd :laugh:

Thanks a million for your help. I'm gonna ride to the local cycle shop when I get off work and get what you recommended. You guys are awesome !!!

:bowdown:

No.... don't go to a shop, they will rip you off. Just buy a relay off ebay, search for DEI 528T, it's easy to wire up. There are plenty of threads on here and all the help you will need. Or you could just wire in a switch as well....

my 06 does the same, and i dont think theres a prob with it at all. the light turns off while starting to "save" current for the starter. its no big deal, just the way it is. ive never had a problem with the battery or the starter and im goin on 13000 miles.:thumbsup:

my 06 does the same, and i dont think theres a prob with it at all. the light turns off while starting to "save" current for the starter. its no big deal, just the way it is. ive never had a problem with the battery or the starter and im goin on 13000 miles.:thumbsup:

yeah, but were talking about HID's. Different scenario. Sometimes when starting with HID's, the HID will flicker and not come back on.

Back