Good ole Overheating Problems

Phlack

Registered
Alright so first let me intoduce myself. My name is Kevin and I'm 27. I recently inhereted (sp?) an 03 Zuk Busa from my dad who sold it to his brother. His brother recently passed away and my dad gave it to me as a gift. I've been riding it around Wichita, KS for the past couple of weeks with no problems whatsoever. Well, I just rode down to Phoenix, AZ (1100 miles in two days) to attend MMI for a couple of years.

Now here's my delimma...Riding around in heavy traffic makes the bike overheat like an SOB! My dad and I have been troubleshooting and figured I should take out the thermostat and see what happens. I took out the thermostat and rode it down to the same place and the bike worked fine. The fan kicked on a little over halfway and kept the bike cool. So, I stopped at Hooters and called me dad and we figured that we needed a new thermostat. So, I started riding to the local bike shop when the bike started overheating again with the thermostat out. The fan still kicks on but it still overheats! Now I am baffled. The bike has around 46000 miles. There is some no name brand coolant in there. I do have some Engine Ice ready to go in as soon as i figure out what is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but I'm just trying to give an accurate play by play. I'll have some pics up soon since my household goods have not arrived yet.

Check make sure the coolant level is full, also make sure all the air is purged from the system. You shouldn't run the bike without a t-stat.

Well, the coolant level is good. How do you know if the air is purged from the system? Also, I know you're not supposed to run the bike without a "functioning" t-stat, but I was just trying to troubleshoot. I still have the o-ring seal in there to keep it from leaking. I went and bought a washer that was the same diameter as the t-stat and just put it in there so the o-ring wouldn't get into the block at all. I do have another one on order that I'm going to put in along with a complete flush of the system and I'm putting Engine Ice in there. Any other possibilities?? The guys at the bike shop were talking about full synthetic oil vs. semi synthetic oil could make the temps vary some.

Oil isn't going to make it overheat, Is your cooling fan coming on and if so, when? Take the rad. cap off and start the bike, rock it from side to side to see if there's any air trapped in the system.

strip the wires coming from temp sensor on radiator and twist together. This will allow the fan to run constantly when the key is on. This was a must for my bike with a 1441 and high compression trying in drive in traffic. If it worked for me, its a win win for you. Best part about it is the price....FREE:laugh:

Oil isn't going to make it overheat, Is your cooling fan coming on and if so, when? Take the rad. cap off and start the bike, rock it from side to side to see if there's any air trapped in the system.

When I had the t-stat in the fan wouldn't come on until 3/4 of the way on the hot side. Now with the t-stat removed it comes on just above the hash mark. I'll try taking the rad cap off and see what happens. Thanks.

strip the wires coming from temp sensor on radiator and twist together. This will allow the fan to run constantly when the key is on. This was a must for my bike with a 1441 and high compression trying in drive in traffic. If it worked for me, its a win win for you. Best part about it is the price....FREE:laugh:

aight i will try that also. Thanks.

This is bad advise. You shouldn't need to run your bike with the fan on constantly.

I'm not 100 percent sure if you're getting the overheating problem while at speed or when you're stopped. So if the problem happens when you are stopped it could still be a bad temperature sensor that tells the fan to turn on. I believe on Gen I the fan should kick on about half way up on the thermostat. Also, overheating in stop and go traffic is somewhat common for these bikes too. A lot of people will add a second fan and put muzzy blades on both of the fans to fix this problem.

If the problem happens when you're moving at speed then most likely air in the system or maybe even something wrong with the water pump. Since you took out the thermostat all ready you know that's probably not the problem or at least the only problem.

I don't know Kansas temperatures but you want to be careful with engine ice if the temperature drops below freezing often. That stuff has no antifreeze in it from what I understand. I could be wrong on this though so double check to make sure.

Good luck

I'm not 100 percent sure if you're getting the overheating problem while at speed or when you're stopped. So if the problem happens when you are stopped it could still be a bad temperature sensor that tells the fan to turn on. I believe on Gen I the fan should kick on about half way up on the thermostat. Also, overheating in stop and go traffic is somewhat common for these bikes too. A lot of people will add a second fan and put muzzy blades on both of the fans to fix this problem.

If the problem happens when you're moving at speed then most likely air in the system or maybe even something wrong with the water pump. Since you took out the thermostat all ready you know that's probably not the problem or at least the only problem.

I don't know Kansas temperatures but you want to be careful with engine ice if the temperature drops below freezing often. That stuff has no antifreeze in it from what I understand. I could be wrong on this though so double check to make sure.

Good luck

I'm not in Kansas anymore. I'm now living in Phoenix. Huge temperature difference. Like I said...I didn't have ANY problems with her until I got here. Oh and the problem just happens when I'm in stop and go traffic. I know that it's normal for the temp to raise, but it's definitely not normal for it to overheat and I have to pull over and let her cool down so I can ride again.

I'm not in Kansas anymore. I'm now living in Phoenix. Huge temperature difference. Like I said...I didn't have ANY problems with her until I got here. Oh and the problem just happens when I'm in stop and go traffic. I know that it's normal for the temp to raise, but it's definitely not normal for it to overheat and I have to pull over and let her cool down so I can ride again.

I had an '06 and my bike would do the same thing when I was in heavy stop and little go traffic during the summer. I say check out some of the fan mods if this is going to be your normal driving and you can't find the good flow back or side streets.

The Gen II got the fix.

Do you know what coolant you are running? i.e., percentages of coolant/water/additives?

You should be running DISTILLED WATER ONLY, you favourite coolant (I use DexCool) (50/50 mix ) and whatever Engine Ice or RedLine Coolant Ad you want, mix all in a large container, slowly pour into cool radiator.

DO NOT shake bike back and forth until you have sealed the cap!
Remove cap once parked on side stand, remove cap and view again for a lower level. Pour slight amounts in until you go right to the over flow line. Cap again. While seated on the bike,,, run engine until the fan comes on. Turn off. Allow to cool. NEVER REMOVE RADIATOR CAP WHILE HOT - IT WILL BURN YOU! Once cool, remove cap view lower level, if any, fill to over-flow line. Cap again. It may help to wrap a shop rag around the filler neck to save any fluids running down the bike. Wipe off when done. Road test. Return and set on side stand again to view one last time for that added self assurance. After that, you should be good to go!

Rather than cutting your wires, you can compliment your Muzzy fan blades with a jump clip that you can pic up at an electrical store like Lowes or Home Depot. This way you can override thte fan switch and manually turn the fan(s) on in heavy traffic or over heating conditions.
Wire+Jump+Clip+I1251500335.jpg

Wire+Jump+Clip+II1251500346.jpg

Also you can run a Honda Accord Temp Sensor that will turn on sooner than stock. Part # 37760-P00-003

Just a few tips. Hope that helps!

Alright so first let me intoduce myself. My name is Kevin and I'm 27. I recently inhereted (sp?) an 03 Zuk Busa from my dad who sold it to his brother. His brother recently passed away and my dad gave it to me as a gift. I've been riding it around Wichita, KS for the past couple of weeks with no problems whatsoever. Well, I just rode down to Phoenix, AZ (1100 miles in two days) to attend MMI for a couple of years.

Now here's my delimma...Riding around in heavy traffic makes the bike overheat like an SOB! My dad and I have been troubleshooting and figured I should take out the thermostat and see what happens. I took out the thermostat and rode it down to the same place and the bike worked fine. The fan kicked on a little over halfway and kept the bike cool. So, I stopped at Hooters and called me dad and we figured that we needed a new thermostat. So, I started riding to the local bike shop when the bike started overheating again with the thermostat out. The fan still kicks on but it still overheats! Now I am baffled. The bike has around 46000 miles. There is some no name brand coolant in there. I do have some Engine Ice ready to go in as soon as i figure out what is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but I'm just trying to give an accurate play by play. I'll have some pics up soon since my household goods have not arrived yet.

Flush the cooling system...replace with Engine Ice as directed on the container for the right mix.

I you run a engine WITHOUT a thermostat...it WILL overheat. Without a thermostat, the coolant circulates TOO fast...it is not in the radiator long enough to exchange enough heat.

Back