Engine Dies when up-shifting - Help!!!

HayabusaR1D3R

Registered
I own a 03 Busa since new and recently starting developing the following problem:

During the first ride of the day when shifting from 1st to 2nd (with the clutch engaged of curse) the engine dies. This seems to happen only when the bike speed is above 20 mph, if I am riding slower getting out of the garage at slower speeds I can shift and there is no problem, but as soon as I am with fast moving traffic and I need to up-shift I get the problem.

It also seems to happen more if the engine is not "warm enough?" if the engine temperature gauge is not near the middle I know it will happen, if I let the bike warm-up long enough for the engine gauge to be near the middle I don’t always get the problem.

Initially this happened only once a day during the first minutes of the first ride of the day, but in the last couple of weeks is happening more and not only in the first ride of the day, also now is occasionally happening when shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Any ideas of what could be wrong, and how I can go about fix in it would be greatly appreciated.

Adjust your idle to 1150-1250 and see if it makes a difference.

yeap more times then not its the idle screw, my stupid screw backs out every few days but will only change the idle 2-400 rpm which is enough to kill it...btw, u can reach the idle screw with a long skinny screwdriver under the gas tank, and not have to remove anything at all

Back