Just rebuilt motor no first gear

psdiesel911

Registered
I just got everything back together after rebuilding my motor and the thing wont go into first gear. It will go into second and i went as high as third to test if it would down shift. It does down shift from third to second but it will absolutely not go into first. I was so frustrated after the days of hard work i gave up and came home from my shop... Any one know why this is happening or NOT happening is probably the better use of words. :banghead:

You dont have the shift forks in the wright position!

It needs to come back out and split the lower case again, sorry for the bad news, i've been there before!

Last edited:
i thought the case wouldnt go back together if the shift forks werent in.. i know they were in the grooves are there multiple ways they can fit in?

You have to make sure the gearbox in in neutral, then line up the shift forks to hit the grooves correctly!

Also the shifter needs to be in the neutral position also!

Have you checked the shift star? I had my motor back together and I was getting false nuetrals and it wouldnt go from one gear to the next properly. I thought I screwed up during assembly but it turned out to be the shift star was bolted too tightly. I retorqued and it solved the problem. Your problem sounds different but its worth checking before you yank the whole motor again. Good luck either way

yeah i should have i just wasnt thinking about it. I am 19 and this is my first full engine tear down and the busa is my first bike. I have my dad helping me but he builds custum choppers and this is his first jap bike tear down haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Before pulling it pull shift shaft cover you may just have the thing binded...

its out and split apart... its in nuetral but it doesnt want to spin freely i have to hold the other shaft so it doesnt spin. when we first pulled it apart it would spin no problem and we didnt take anything in the transmission apart.

Not sure how far you are from Johnny Turbo he should be able to fox that for you in minutes. Tell him Greg from HPC sent you. :bowdown:

When you where trying to get to switch gears, you could have bent one of the shift forks, unintensionally!

Back