noob question

xXxNapalmxXx

Registered
I had an off a coupple of weeks ago and just finished putting here back togeter, not a bad off mind you just waiting for bolt on parts. So i put the rear wheel on and go out to practice some emergancy braking, saved my butt once, and when I was braking a clunking sound came from the left side, is this the trans or the chain, no sound if clutch is fully applied. it seemed to be a little bit further front then the sprocket.

is the chain maybe a little loose. could be slapping the swing arm:dunno: when you put the tire back on are you sure its on straight? maybe crimping the chain. Or with the chain i had a clunking noise and I found out that it was from the master link that the dealer put on, it was a clip on which i found out later you never use on this type of bike. It had worn it badly and was crimping up the chain. it was a failure in the making.....

Yup.....slack chain........hitting the swingarm when you lock it down.

So I am retarded go thing I have not been riding at all till I figured it out, Like I said it seemed to be coming from a little bit further then the chain. So I double and triple checked the slack and the alighnment all good Mr Bogus pm me and it was not that, so I poped off the fairings and checked everything I did, everything was good bolts set to the right lbs everything was in allighnment no frame bend all bolts straight, so I let it idle while she was naked, and wouldn,t you know I heard something like the sound I heard just really really light almost inaudible. So I popped the strator cover off and there it was. I did not torque down two of the bolts.... Let me rephrase that I left two bolts more or less completely loose. See I was not lying when I said I was a noob.:rofl: But thank you all for your help, at least now i can I can set chain slack and alighnment in under ten min:whistle:

loose bolts can get really $$$, sure glad you caught that before it grenaded... Good job sticking to the diagnosis :)

yeah man the last thing I wanted to do was ride it with out getting to the bottom of it. Nothing like sitting on top a firecracker

Good on Randy for helping you find the problem. Randy knows his "Stuff" (since this is a family site) when it comes to these things.:beerchug:

Speaking of that, when you coming up to help me put that part on my bike Randy?

Last edited:
Good on Randy for helping you find the problem. Randy knows his "Stuff" (since this is a family site) when it comes to these things.:beerchug:

Speaking of that, when you coming up to help me put that part on my bike Randy?
Well I am at the track (again) this weekend, then we have Busa Bash (full week) and then cAP's house for the OKC MnG... other than those dates? wide open... with the temps? might drive instead of ride :)

Quick word to the wise - You should use a drop of Loctite Red on each of those bolts inside the stator before you torque them into place. You could be faced with that problem again and not have everything turn out so fortunate. Those things are pot metal at best and when something flies off inside there,,,, Or you land on it (heaven forbid) they break apart like that pure crap that they are.

I knew right where to go when I started reading this - it happens to the best of us!
icon6.gif

Back