blew the motor

stevenbusa

Registered
well i took it to a couple shops today and they all told me the motor was done for. One hit the header with a heat laser and it was 1and2 where normal temp to see the others where only hot from the other two pipes so i guess im looking for a new motor but im gonna do a compression test and pull this one and weigh my options on cost. A new low mile motor sounds way better then this one but ill have to check what the costs will be. stay tuned for some dumb questions lol thanks for putting up with me.

Pull the plugs and look at them carefully. It will tell you much more than checking the temp of the headers.

did the compression test and am in the process of tearing it down. I found the 4 cylinder to have low compression like 150 i think and the others were 180. also made a hissing when i turned it over on that one. Someone told me to put a lil oil down the spark plug hole and run it and see if it stays the same or goes up which would tell me more if its the head or the pistons. I did that and it made it go up to like 220 i think. So i just need to pull it off and check what kind of damage i have done to it. I have a decent hook up at a machine shop that we deliver to so and he said it would do it for me. But the problem im running into is by the time i buy the parts then labor it might be cheaper to buy a head from ebay or the junk yard i seen a couple nice ones but u never know what u get. Any idea's if the piston has damge or the cylinder walls ill have a nice catch all in the garage lol stay tuned ill know by the end of this week

I have a spare set of 05 jugs, stock bore pistons and a Lee's Performance head and 1/2" studs if you need to go that route.

post up some pics may have what ya need 2 complete spare motors sitting on floor...oh and plenty hp stuff on shelf :laugh:???

ok so i might be wrong but its what the book says so bare with me. i think the valve spring retainer is cracked. if thats the thing the shim sits in the middle off after u take the bucket off. What are my options and what else breaks when that does?

ok so i might be wrong but its what the book says so bare with me. i think the valve spring retainer is cracked. if thats the thing the shim sits in the middle off after u take the bucket off. What are my options and what else breaks when that does?
If the retainer is cracked did you drop a valve? Would produce low PSI numbers on a compression test...did the valve make contact with the piston.

piston looks good and the valve looks fine. I think i caught it before i dropped it. it was an intake valve. Im going to take it to the shop tommorrow and see what they say so i will know if i bent the valve and what i have to replace on it. i am just getting back to work so i don't have a lot of money so im trying to do this cheap but leave it reliable. thanks for all the help.

Back