How important is........

KvHotDog4

Registered
Ok so my bike has 35,000 miles on it and doesn't really tick unless its cold and first crank of the day. My question is how important is it to adjust the valves? I read up on how to do it because I don't want to pay someone else to do my kinda work, only thing is I don't want to take to covers off unless I know the valves need adjusting. No leaks anywhere and I don't want to break the seals, I know it won't leak when I finish pittinng it together I just don't see the need in doing the work unless it needs it. Another thing holding me back on doing it is the bike has 35,000 miles and I have never touched the engine except oil, plugs and an exhaust and it still runs perfect, I guess I am going back to "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Kevin

Oh and its a 2007 Hayabusa all miles are from me. One and only owner.

Last edited:
I have had four 'busas well past the first major service. I don't do any of the service myself...however, I've reviewed the reports which the mechanics have offered at each service...the valves have NEVER needed adjusting.

I have a 2008 with nearly 50k miles on her...at 40k, the last major service, the valves were perfectly in spec.

Just sayin'...

Good luck.

Scar, you have just cheered me up no end!! I have a 2000 (Pipercross Airfilter only mod) with 24,000 miles and have not popped the top yet to check the valves, based on there is no drop in power or MPG! Will leave her for another 24,000 miles then!! I am religous on changing the oil, filter and plugs every 3,000 miles with a TB sync every 6,000, keeps her running sweet. She is a year round commuter in the ****y british weather.

Happy riding!!

Back