won't start

karlmalone1

Registered
Hi guys I just was about to take my bike out today, and the bike wouldn't turn on. It wouldn't even turn over, and the dash lights wouldn't even light up when i turned the key. It's just....dead, as if there is a dead battery or something. I rode it two days ago, and it rode perfectly normal, and nothing was on to drain the battery, so i'm at loss. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks

Fully charge that battery overnight and make sure you don't have the key turned to park.

It might be time for a battery. Age and care are more important than mileage, acdtually mileage isn't that important. 3 + years on a battery is good. I would still fully charge it and see what happens. Have you added anything electrical, dropped it, wrecked it, etc.

Make sure the park position didn't get ya.

Nope, completely stock, the previous owner had a minor drop, but nothing major, just a few scratches. I guess i'll try charging the battery, hopefully that's the culprit.

if its turned to park the tail lights are on...so dont do that..and dead battery is what you have

I jumped it via my accord, and it started right up. Let it run for a few minutes, then took it on about an hour ride to charge up the battery, came back home, shut it off, tried to turn it back on, and nothing. It wouldn't even crank. Is it just a bad battery? How much do new ones run?

Check with the local folks, but I remember hearing $80.00, but don't hold me to it.

Check all your connections are tight on your wires by the battery.. shiney metal contacts what your looking for, water and corrosion damage broken plastic sheathing on cables is a no no, if your bike been laid up for a while the battery needs replacing in the good days you could charge 'em up and be ok for couple years now if you don't keep them topped up with some volts they die on you. If you got your bike laid up keep the battery charged up the alarm will taking some current out of it.

Here is what a healthy battery looks like:

Batt Voltage.jpg

Back