Bad Vibrations!

hayabusaboy

Registered
Hey guys, am a newbie so be gentle! Great site!!

I'm writing from the UK. I have a 2001 silver and blue Busa (double bubble and Pipercross air filter) with 20,000 miles on the clock. Absolutely faultless bike for the last 18 months of continous use, but has developed a horrendous vibration from 4,800 rpm right up to 10,000 (in any gear) It seems to coming from the back of the engine (felt more throught the pegs) and is getting that bad that I don't enjoy opening her up any more!! It is due an oil + filter change at the end of the month. Performance is not affected at all, so not sure where to start looking with this problem! I did have the back wheel off last month to have a puncture vulcanised but that is it.

I went over the bike with a fine tooth comb only 2 months ago after the winter season to nip up all bolts and clean out the road salt, so can't see anything working loose??!!

I have done a search on here but can't find a problem to match mine.

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Mac

Check both tires for balance. Did it happen all at once, or got worse over time? Welcome to the oRg! :beerchug:

Twotonevert, to be honest i don't really know. We had a real crap spring over here so never really opened her up in to that rev range. The back has squared off now, was going to wait till the end of summer as there is plenty of tread left on there, but it handles like a sheep on rollerskates so will take her in and get both changed and balanced and see if that cures it.

Hate the thought of any damage being done!

I was thinking tire, check rear axle nut and alignment, then look at the chain and sprocket. Good Luck and keep us posted.

If the tire was removed from the wheel when the repair was done then it should have been balanced. Though minimal, you're adding mass to the tire when making repairs and again it should have been balanced.

Hope it remedies you vibe!

Hey guys, Update on the vibration!!!

A new set of Avon Storms, balanced, with an Oil and filter change has cured it!!! Running sweet!! Now happy to the red line all the way!!!

Thanks for the posts lads, much appreciated!

Mac :bowdown:

Yep from new I had bad vibrations above 4500 rpm - thought it was an engine issue - and after about 2000 miles I realised they had gone away and all was smooth. Then I had a new Battlax 015 tyre fitted and now all vibrates like new again which is horrible!!!

I have seen the weights come off before and cause people to have that vibrations, I think it is some solvents or polish or something they are cleaning the wheels with are seeping into and under the adhesive of the weights and then it ends up coming off... glad your problems are cured... I know about wasting a good tire I had a nail in a rear that still had the nipples on her... I was pissed... so I plugged the tire and road it down to the shop and gave one hell of a burn out up and then back down the street before they yank the wheel and through on a new tire

Back