Nasty grinding/slash screeching trying to start

andyw8705

Registered
Ok so Im on the bike for about 4 hours and everything is going great as I pull into work. About 6 hours later I come out and start the bike. The fuel pump seemed to make an odd noise but I ignored it. When I tried to start it, the engine made a nasty grinding sound when it was trying to turn over. Anybody had this problem? Please help

I havent tried it in over a week, the sound was so nasty that I was scared to try it again...someone told me that a bolt could have backed out and got caught in the stator, i have also heard ceized motor but it would seem the engine wouldnt do anything if that were the case...we got some shady mechanics around here so Im tryin to figure out myself

Have heard about a bolt backing out on the clutch side(I think) that makes that kind of sound.

What year bike. Pretty easy to pull the stator cover and check that. Have you looked? Doubtful its a seizure, unless you dont maintian you bike. What type of riding were you doing that day, were yah beaten the crap out of it?:poke:

would this be a simple fix or something i need to leave to a professional...anything helps out, thanks!!

Man, I wish I could tell you for sure, but I wouldnt be afraid to pull the cover and see if there was something loose. I really wish someone would chime in that has first hand knowledge.

Depends on what it is. Did the bike sound like that when you shut it down after the ride. If not, its doubtful the bolt backed out while you were at work that is why I suspected the starter clutch.

its a 2000 with 7000 miles on it...i was cruisin with my uncle who has a harley so I dont think I took it over 70 the whole day, the only thing I remember is hittin a big pothole pullin into work. I just thought it was so odd it was workin great the whole day then all the sudden I let it sit at work and come out and its dead...

preciate all the help guys...it sounded fine pulling into work, nothin out of the ordinary...what also gets me is the way the pump sounded when i got off work...very rough

I backed off when i heard the noise but tried it about 5 times after, tried to pop but nothing there either

So the second time it made the same noise huh? Well first turn you key over and flip the kill switch and cycle the fuel pump, what does it sound like? Normal or not.

Ok so when you tried the 2nd time the bike didnt start? It popped. I thought we were talking about grinding noises. I would just try and start the bike again and see what happens. Make sure you let the pump cycle completely before pressing the starter button. If its still doing it then I would pop off the stator and clutch covers to check for loose bolts. And there will be oil in there so drain some or all of it.

when i went to start the bike for the first time the fuel pump made a nasty sound which caught my attention but i just kinna ignored it, then when i tried to start it is when it made the grinding noise, turned the bike off and let the pump cycle again...this time the pump sounded fine but still made the grinding noise...ill try it again and see what happens, thanks for the help guys

when i went to start the bike for the first time the fuel pump made a nasty sound which caught my attention but i just kinna ignored it, then when i tried to start it is when it made the grinding noise, turned the bike off and let the pump cycle again...this time the pump sounded fine but still made the grinding noise...ill try it again and see what happens, thanks for the help guys

If it did make the noise again you might want to not try it again. Thats your call. If your up to it you could pull the stator and clutch covers and check the bolt on the inside. It takes little skill to perform those tasks. Also has anything been modified or changed on your bike recently?

My bike made a grinding sound once but that was the result of a bad turbo tune that caused melted turbo pistons.

Guys, after months of putting it off I finally had time to open up the stator and it appears one of the three bolts had backed out! I hope this is what the problem was. The bolt was grinded pretty bad and there were shards everywhere. Now obviously I need to get all the shards out of there but does anybody have any other tips as to what I need to make sure of before I replace the bolt and put the stator back on. Thanks for the help folks

Back