Dying bike..

kjon

Registered
Hi all, I'm new to these bikes & unfortunately things haven't started well.. Bought a 99 Busa a few weeks ago & all seemed ok but while riding yesterday the engine just died totally, it turned over fine but wouldn't run.. Having trailered the bike home it restarted immediately.. the symptoms seem to be these.. When cold, no problems, but when up to temperature (& just after the fan cut in) she starts to misfire & dies.. Anyone have any ideas?

check tip over sensor bracket on back of tank mount...check for torn rubber holding it or broken bracket...

I also had this issue and pump went out replaced it no more issues,still running today..only did it once bike warmed up..

Hi all, I'm new to these bikes & unfortunately things haven't started well.. Bought a 99 Busa a few weeks ago & all seemed ok but while riding yesterday the engine just died totally, it turned over fine but wouldn't run.. Having trailered the bike home it restarted immediately.. the symptoms seem to be these.. When cold, no problems, but when up to temperature (& just after the fan cut in) she starts to misfire & dies.. Anyone have any ideas?

99's have a known issue with the fuel pump. If this is your issue you have three choices:
1. Pull the screens from inside the fuel pump and install a quality in-line filter.

2. Replace your pump with a 2000 fuel pump. The 2000 pump is the same design but is made from different alloy and doesn't seem to suffer the issues. This is what I did.

3. Replace your pump and gas tank with any 2001 - 2007 gas tank with the internal fuel pump.

The 99 pump can degrade over time and copper is leached from the pump housing and clogs one or both of the internal screens causing intermittent stalling. Some of that debris may have made its way down stream so you may need to clean or replace the injector screens as well. Good luck.

Yeap sounds totally like a fuel pump to me. The fuel pump is probally overheating and then breaking down barely pumping fuel, which causing it to misfire,Well starve for fuel sounds like a misfire. But you can put a inline fuel regulator with gauge on it and run the bike and look the gauge and before it starts doing it you should notice your fuel pressure starting to drop. Before you go buy a fuel pump for it.

Back