Bike wont start. Not sure why.

1320RedBusa

Registered
Hello everyone I have a 2006 Busa and I am having a problem with it. Recently my clutch master cylinder went out and I just replaced it. I reconnected the clutch switch as well but the bike wont start. If I push start it, then it runs fine and stays on. The starter is simply not getting the signal when I push the button to start it. I tried changing the clutch switch or even joining the two wires but still not successful.. Any ideas anyone? Thanks....

might try adjusting the clutch lever all the way out (most lever swing) the interrupt switch on mine will fail if there is not enough travel on the clutch lever..

kickstand switch connected correct?

only two things I would think affected by the repair...

I think the only common thing that would cause it not to work, but it does when push started is the starter switch (button) on the bars.
There was a thread on here where there was a little rock that got in there and he took it apart and that fixed it.
If it was the tip over or the clutch, or the kickstand, I don't think it would be able to run when pushed. (?)
Try and take it apart, and failing that you try and replace it (if you have a friend you could take his for a test, all the better) JMO

Last edited:
If there is no sound when the start button is pressed it could be either the start button, clutch safety switch or starter relay.

might try adjusting the clutch lever all the way out (most lever swing) the interrupt switch on mine will fail if there is not enough travel on the clutch lever..

kickstand switch connected correct?

only two things I would think affected by the repair...

Yes, the kickstand is connected...

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions guys.... Keep em coming.... There is no sound when I push the starter switch button, but the low beam does go off when I push it so it seems as it is recognizing me trying to start the bike. If I run a wire from the positive terminal to the starter, then it will start, but the wire gets hot....

Jumper the clutch and kickstand switches out and see if it starts. If it doesn't then you've really started to narrow down where to look like the start or the starter relay. It only takes a minute and you can use a paper clip. Let us know if it works. I know it's frustrating but when you find it you'll be grinning like a possum eating corn..Wardie:laugh:

Jumper the clutch and kickstand switches out and see if it starts. If it doesn't then you've really started to narrow down where to look like the start or the starter relay. It only takes a minute and you can use a paper clip. Let us know if it works. I know it's frustrating but when you find it you'll be grinning like a possum eating corn..Wardie:laugh:

Well for the past few days I have been jumping the clutch switch. I even switched it out the one on the previous Clutch master cylinder and it didn't make a difference. Never tried jumping the kickstand switch though.... That will be my next move. I will let you know what happens.... Thanks...

So I jumped the kickstand switch and and the clutch swith together, no luck. Wont start off of a jump, and the battery tender is/has been on it for the past few days.... It's really frustrating me now. The low beam HL cuts out when the starter switch button is being pressed so I know it's recognizing it.. But there is still something that is preventing the signal from being sent to the starter for it to start..

Figured out the reason guys!! This is my problem.
DSCN1501.jpg

I tested it and the yellow with green stripe wire is getting power to it but the relay is not sending the power over to the wire that connects to the starter. The fuse that is in there is good. The relay just simply went bad. Awkward but okay. Now I just have to buy another one.

Last edited:
So my replacement Starter Relay came in the mail yesterday and I tried it and the bike still doesn't start... Seems like I am back to the drawing board again. The relay is getting power but it seems as if the wire from the starter that goes to the relay is not switching from a ground to a positive signal. Everything else is in place, Clutch switch is currently jumped too.. I cannot see/think what else it could be that is causing me this grief... Please Help...

Bad Battery you will have lights horn,and everything but no cranking power. And second did you even bleed the clutch because maybe its not showing as the clutch is pressed in so that will keep it from cranking. Probaly that lies the main problem.

Bad Battery you will have lights horn,and everything but no cranking power. And second did you even bleed the clutch because maybe its not showing as the clutch is pressed in so that will keep it from cranking. Probaly that lies the main problem.

I have left the battery on the battery tender for a few days and nothing.... Even put jumper cables on it from my car.. Nothing... Yes I did bleed the clutch. The bike engages fine after I push start it. Currently the clutch switch is jumped so I dont think the clutch being bled would be the concern but thanks.. It is bled and working properly..

Same thing as before is happening with this new relay.. Power to the relay, no power out from the wire that goes to the starter... Im starting to think it was/is somehting else...

Take a large gauge wire and replace the starter wire. Simple to do, but you need to remove the right side fairing. Connect one end to the starter motor and the other directly to the battery and see if it starts. Remove the end from the battery and connect to the starter relay. If it works, then the starter lead wire is bad.

Back