Clutch, transmission or what noise/ problem?

wardie

Donating Member
Registered
I had to adjust chain on the road and forgot to tighten the jam nuts. The next day I had chain slap and readjusted everything was fine. Rode the bike about 150 miles and noticed a sound that was loud like a knocking and thought maybe the chain loosened. Upon inspection it wasn't but did find a tight spot on the chain and lubed the heck out of it. I had bike on my lift and started it up and heard a grinding noise similar to what you'd hear if the chain was runing over some grease with gravel in it. THE SOUND GOES AWAY WHEN YOU DISENGAGE THE CLUTCH AND COMES BACK WHEN YOU ENGAGE THE CLUTCH. I pulled the front sprocket cover and found nothing wrong. It did have a lot of grease and debris but nothing that would constitute making that sound. I've had chain driven bikes before but this is my first Busa and don't want to get off on the wrong foot with her. The bike doesn't have a manual chain tensioner and has about 25,000 miles. I would appreciate any ideas on what to look at. :please: Wardie who is not riding now........???

Wow thats a lot of miles. My buddy has a 04 with 46k miles. IDK how he still keeps that thing running. Anyways; Have you done anything with the clutch plates?

I have had BMW's that have had 156,000 miles and never hestitated to ride it to Daytona. I would expect a water cooled Hayabusa with regular maintenance to get at least as much?

Come on guys there's got to be some answers out there on the grinding type of noise.

Does it make the noise when it is in neutral and the clutch is out?
And go away when the clutch lever is pulled in?

the tight spot on the chain is the kiss of death... I would replace...

The noise is only prevalent when the trans is in gear and the clutch lever out (clutch engaged). If I disengage(pull lever) the sound goes away. If trans is in neutral there's no noise at all. I am going to measure the chain tonight 21 pins and the space should be 12.57". If it's longer at least I know I need a chain. Funny thing the sprockets look real good but that chain has a tight spot. I appreciate the help and please everyone keep it coming. Wardie

The entire problem was resolved after measuring the pin count length. Chain was stretched and I replaced and set everthing to factory specs. Just did 1,500 miles to Alabama and bacjk and no problems. Wardie:thumbsup:

my 2 gear is going out and its less than a year old with 14000 mi on it. what should i do ?

see if warranty is still valid if brought new,otherwise your gonna have to pull motor replace shift forks,recommend install billet shafts and check dogs on gears.

Back