bad starter?

insanebluebusa

Registered
so i got an 07 busa with some mods and never had a prob. until the other day, me and a few buddies went riding and on my way to fill it up i ran out of gas and once i walked 3 miles to get some i refueled and tried to start it and it clicked one time .. my battery is less than a month old and working good, bright lights and fuel pump working so i tore it down and found the click coming from the starter.. any ideas why this may have happened and price of new starter? also if not the starter any clue what else it could be? thanks..

Steve, clicking sound can be loose connections or the solenoid.

I can send you a new starter if you need one, PM me.

I had to replace mine at 70K. Bump started my bike for 3 days during my ride.:laugh:

Steve, clicking sound can be loose connections or the solenoid.

I can send you a new starter if you need one, PM me.

I had to replace mine at 70K. Bump started my bike for 3 days during my ride.:laugh:

ya i checked all my connections and it would only click once from the starter so i fig. it was seized and that was my prob. i did try pop starting but guess i couldnt get enough speed to turn the monster over.. thanks alot for the reply.. how much are you asking for a starter?

You really need to pull the online manuals and troubleshoot this problem before replacing the starter. I've been around hear since '06 and this is the first starter issue of this nature posted. An '07 , how many miles ? Just doesn't make sense.

Before replacing the starter run a cable right from the batts positive term to the starter and see if it spins. Also just to be sure of the batts conditions measure the voltage. If both those check out then it's time to look at the kickstand sensor, tip over sensor, clutch switch, and GPS sensor.

Before replacing the starter run a cable right from the batts positive term to the starter and see if it spins. Also just to be sure of the batts conditions measure the voltage. If both those check out then it's time to look at the kickstand sensor, tip over sensor, clutch switch, and GPS sensor.

Do this before you buy another starter! :thumbsup:

thanks alot everyone, sorry if anything is mispelled or anything, my comp. took a **** so im using my ps3 fo internet.. i will try these suggestions before getting a starter.. will keep posted.. thnx again

so i tore the bike completely apart and removed the starter and the teeth were all good so i hooked it straight to the battery and it worked fine so im drawing a blank.. what else should i check? also, my battery is good.. i also tried the whole dealer mode thing and just got the coo code indicating all is good.. ???

Everyone is going to give you advice based on their own personal experiences. Nothing wrong with that at all, but be aware that the electrical system isn't as simple as they used to be. I had to replace my rectifier at 50 miles, right off the showroom floor. Yet another part of the electrical system that would cause a dead battery.

There is a troubleshooting section in the manual for a starter that will not turn over.
Mine is on page 7-13 in the "Electrical" section.
It looks good so go through that and it will help.

Back