Fuel filter question...

flynjay

Registered
I think I know the answer, but just want some more input.

I'm pretty sure I have a fuel delivery problem on my '04. So of course I'm going through the fuel system checkingfor problems.

The injectors are out and ready to ship for a test and cleaning, they probably need it anyway.

Now the fuel pump...it's out of the bike and dissassembled. According to the fiche on Ron Ayers, the fuel filter is shown as the small metal assembly behind the plastic clip. Item #2 if I remember the drawing correctly.

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Suzuki 2004 GSX1300R HAYABUSA PUMP ASSY

Really don't think that's the fuel filter, but the pressure regulator. I'm assuming the filter is the large black plastic housing that this particular piece plugs in to. At $200 + dollars for just the filter, according the part #. I'm going to find a complete assembly from board members or ebay. Anyway...

Now to make sure I have my understanding og the fuel system. I have read in some other post about the return line back to the tank. Which would suggest having a loop type system to feed the injectors. I do not have a fuel return line, so my though process suggest the fuel system maintains a constant pressure on the supply line and any excess over the 43psi (ish) blows through the regulator directly back into the tank. Essentially , a pressure relief valve set at 43psi. So the returrn line should only apply to the older models with the external pump set-up.

Correct????

BUMP - Having fuel problems and about to order the same piece. What a load of bull to have to replace that entire assembly for the filter. Any good alternatives?

Back