Mercury in the engine oil

dreammoto

Registered
Hello, I have a problem with my busa, is model 99 and I changed to him of everything, among others things gasoline filter, oil, oil filter, and several other things. The first night that I left after that, worked like never before, regulated even, it did not give pulls, really walked well, I warmed up, it well to try if it started and it were a contentment, but to the next day I ignited it and failed like in three cylinders. After accelerating in the route one was made up, to the night of those day, I stopped it working of wonders, to the following morning again the fault, that by more route and accelerator than I have given him I did not remove it. it started every time worse, with explosions and everything that left by the filter and the pipes. I decided to remove the spark plugs to him and one was in short with a coal, I cleaned, them burning them and I verified spark, and I armed. soon him get starting and followed the fault. soon I decided to clean injectors. I removed when them I saw that there were small balls of mercury in the lodging of the first injector, after clean by ultrasound iny. I armed, I tried and followed the fault, I measured valve light, was ok, compression, ok, camshaft sensor ok, temperature sensor of air,ok, 2.5 Kg/cm gasoline pressure, the butterflies Nº 1 and 4 were doubled for above, I have straightened them and I accommodated the better possible . I armed everything and I tried. It continued the fault. I had left to disarm the left laterlal and to review the CKP (sensorial of crank), when doing it after to slip the oil I found muchs more smalls balls of mercury within the rotor. I cleaned more than I could everything and I armed, soon I removed all the oil from the case and I did not find any mercury sign in her, which yes left very dark for 500 km at the most that I did to him. I have still it disarmed because between as much test I broke the battery and I am waiting for a new one, my question is sig.: that it happens if it is something of mercury in the motor? would eat something vital of him? would be that the problem of the fault? and finally from where it will have left that mercury. When I put the new oil to him, of one of the containers I saw pass something similar to a drop like a currency of great, but I discarded the sweepings idea because he was new and by far well-taken care of and it was doing it to cleaning, so I do not know that to think. I wait for some answer and I leave a photo of the contaminated generator rotor.

mercurio en el aceite 2.jpg

Welcome!

:welcome:

It could be that a mercury gauge was used to try and sync the throttle bodies and some mercury got sucked into the engine.
Did anyone have one of those on the bike to tune it?

08-0411.jpg

Last edited:
:welcome: that's what it sounds like to me also.

Last edited:
Hello and thanks to respond, I have asked to the last mechanic who controlled the butterflies with the vacuum-gauge he said and me that it is not possible that as much amount has escaped, so there is no way that passes mercury to the oil, so I sent a sample of the oil that was left me in the container of a liter they analyze so that it. My question is what happens with mercury that is inside the engine, is danger that eats some piece? , I will have to disarm the motor to clean it or will leave with time in the form of steam?

Nice photo :) but if the mercury came "out" of the injector, it had to be in the gas.. I am with the above.. had to be mercury gauges and what you are seeing was just blown up there some how..

same here, cant see how mercury could be i the oil.....

When I did change of oil I saw drop of something like water that left the new oil container but already it was inside of the motor, not I could to do nothing to see that it was, if I know that the motorcycle failed much in loss, I consider that by the CKP that signaled false due to the small mercury balls which they circulated in the sensor

mercurio en el aceite.jpg

Thanks, boys, taste to know them and to be in the forum, greeting to all from Neuquén, Argentina¡¡¡ (excuses by the write errors)

Mercury is a very heavy metal.
It may have caused some damage if it is in the combustion chamber, but you most likely blew it out when you rode it.
It will most likely sink to the bottom of the oil pan if it is elsewhere.
It is toxic to you as a person so don't touch it or eat it. :whistle:
If you get a vacuum cleaner and vacum out the stuff you can see, that will help.
Dispose of the bag as toxic waste at the landfill.
I am just speculating as to what to do now, as it is not a very common problem.
Some others will chime in and add to what I have said.
I have the mercury gauges and the first time I put them on I was worried that it would get sucked into the engine.
As long as you don't rev it up when they are on, it won't go in.

Hey good luck!

Last edited:
It could have gotten in through your intake camshaft housing. Mercury is very heavy and could have gravity fed its way into the sub-galley. From the sub-galley it an easy trip to the main oil galley.

Hello Phghost, the oil is mark ELF 4hpm semi sint., the fuel filter was clean, I reviewed already it and the fuel is ok, Mike and XLCC, can be what you say, so far I must assume that it is mercury of a vacuum-gauge perhaps of the last mechanic or some previous, because the last mechanic said to me that the meeting of cover of valves had much glue, and that it is thing of a bad previous mechanic, so it can be the one of the vacuum-gauge badly used, I sent the oil samples to analyze and that going to give me the truth than it happened, would want to know if the rest of mercury will be problem that can be within the motor ???

wow, i am thinking I will never let anyone near my bike with a set of mercury vacume gauges....
:whistle:

Back