Water in expansion bottle?

SABUSABOY

Registered
I have searched for the same problem but nothing can come close to whats going on. The bike overheated but not to the point of damaging the head a while back but went in for repairs to gearbox to be undercut and had head gasket replaced at the same time to be on the safe side. When bike gets driven a while and then riden hard for a while it pushes water into the expansion bottle, only at 1/4 of an inch to half an inch against bottle marker. But on cooling the water does not get pulled back into radiator. Could the head gasket be blown or is it just an air lock and need to be bleed? Sometimes when opening the radiator cap it makes a air rushing sound like when opening a soda can. Please help, at wits end and dont feel like sending bike back to bike shop which is over 750 miles away. Any ideas welcome.

I would bleed the system first then see what happens. Did the problem happen after you got the new gasket or before?

It happened before, but then it was was pushing large amounts of water into expansion bottle and blowing bubbles and that told me it was a blown head gasket but it would only push water in under high load and speed, but under normal town driving it was fine. After the replacing it did not do it for a while, then i had to stand at traffic lights while traffic police guided a funeral convoy go though the lights. Was about ten minutes at lights before setting off but never overheated once since replacing head gasket.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you have a problem. The cooling system will generate a vacuum as it cools. That would explain the noise when popping the radiator cap. Does the oil look normal and white ?

When you crank it, do you see anything; like vapor coming out of the exhaust ? I'm going to guess no, because you would be constantly running hot and needing to add coolant.

No vapour what so ever. Guess it just needs to bleed correctly. Whats the best way of bleeding the cooling system? And thanks for the response.

You can google it but im trying to find a youtube video that I saw a while back that shows you how. Ill let you know if I can find it...

I've never burped a Busa. Have you checked the on-line manuals or your owners manual?

Found it bro. Actually found a couple but this one I find most informative. Hope this helps! :beerchug:

- KLR 650 Coolant Flush[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back