02 help won't start now

werdkat

Registered
Suddenly my great deal is looking less like one...sigh I digress.

Test rode the bike it ran great. Got it home 3 hours later rode it around it ran great. Rode my daughter around it ran great. I decide to ride to work last night and the thing wouldn't fire up. Acted like the battery is dead.

Put it on to trickle charge 13.05v right now, popped the battery in bump the starter and it will not catch. You can hear the fuel pump engage and you can hear the starter relay click. I tested to see if there was an electrical leak vmeter read 0.000 @ 20A mA.

I don't know what would have happened over a 3 day period where it sat in a garage. Only thing that has been done is I cleaned it. Man it was disgusting.

So I'm about to pull the plugs, and check the wires. I have the rear frame cover off so I could test the starter relay but that seems ok.

When I try to start it after it catches then shuts off I smell gas. Any ideas? Trying to get out of taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

Suddenly my great deal is looking less like one...sigh I digress.

Test rode the bike it ran great. Got it home 3 hours later rode it around it ran great. Rode my daughter around it ran great. I decide to ride to work last night and the thing wouldn't fire up. Acted like the battery is dead.

Put it on to trickle charge 13.05v right now, popped the battery in bump the starter and it will not catch. You can hear the fuel pump engage and you can hear the starter relay click. I tested to see if there was an electrical leak vmeter read 0.000 @ 20A mA.

I don't know what would have happened over a 3 day period where it sat in a garage. Only thing that has been done is I cleaned it. Man it was disgusting.

So I'm about to pull the plugs, and check the wires. I have the rear frame cover off so I could test the starter relay but that seems ok.

When I try to start it after it catches then shuts off I smell gas. Any ideas? Trying to get out of taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

Try and jump it off a car battery...your battery might still be bad. If it starts when you jump it, buy a new battery :thumbsup:

didn't think about jumping it. After bumping it those few times the negative side of the battery was warm...looks like it might even be swelling...i might just go buy one for good measure before testing lol.

Try and jump it off a car battery...your battery might still be bad. If it starts when you jump it, buy a new battery :thumbsup:

+1 on that, and you might try rocking it back and forth in gear in case there's a starter issue. Sometimes the rocking gets you to a good spot on the commutator or frees up a slight bind.

brand new battery and it still wont start

There's a number of interlocks. Time to start troubleshooting if you've checked all the normal culprits. Kickstand; you said the fuel pump spun up so that shouldn't be it. Killswitch, etc.

Well the battery was the original so it needed to be replaced anyways lol. Killswitch, plugs, wires, kickstand are next on my agenda to check. I have to look up where they all are at. If I don't get it figured out by the time work rolls around tonight it will be at hte suzuki shop.

Yeah the fuel pump initializes and I hear the starter relay switch click. I pull in the clutch and hit the go daddy go button and it just sits there trying...it will catch everyonce in a while and then not continue. I'm lost.

Make sure you download the on-line manuals for the Gen I lots of great easy to do trouble-shooting in there.

Kill switch to 'on' position, trans in neutral, turn key on, pull in clutch lever, push start button :poke:

If the fuel pump came on when you turned the key on...*check* the safety switch on the clutch lever...there are two little wires...you can use a paper clip to jump them. Then try to start the bike again.

Oh yes...I have my netbook out here with me troubleshooting looking at the manual and supplement hahaha...also printed out all 503 pages the other day...hrmm i'll check the clutch switch because when I did this "Kill switch to 'on' position, trans in neutral, turn key on, pull in clutch lever, push start button " it stumbled more ugh

Back