hard starting found problem, now what?

elmostro

Donating Member
Registered
I found #3 cilinder this is how the spark plug look like,
IMGP0817.jpg

the other 3
IMGP0821.jpg

i change the spark plug with a new one and it did it again. i sprayed some wd40 that cilinder i not burning like the other 3, i checked resistance on the coil primary and secondary and they checked good. i think i was running lean for too long. what can be causing that

Last edited:
can somebody look at the first picture cylinder #3 sparkplug and tell me what can be causing that.

That looks like it is running rich, or may be not firing all the time.

Check at the bottom of this thread;

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/main...6096-spark-plug-condition-reference-pics.html

Looks like the pic of "dry fouling".

If you are sure it is not the plug itself (you changed another one) and the coils are good then it may be something with the injector. The other plugs look good.
You could also run some BG44K or seafoam through the fuel system and that may help the injector.

If it were me, I would try switching the coil from that cylinder to another one and see if the trouble follows.
That may be an easy way to again prove the coil.
It sure looks like an ingnition (or lack of ) symptom.

Last edited:
thanks mike but the bike is doing the same thing again won't start when is hot, this time i'm going to change the starter. i have a bottle of redline fuel sys cleaner. should i put the whole bottle? according to the service manual i need to remove the throttle body is that correct? or is just the two bolts on the top? thanks again

Just add whatever conditioner by the manufacturer specs.
The tank is 5.8 US gallons so mix what the bottle says for that much.
I do it in a jug with a gallon or so, so I know it is mixed, put that in and then fill the tank.
Some of that stuf may run to the botttom and not get mixed well.

That stuff just goes in the fuel right? then you don't have to remove anything.

sorry i forgot to mention the starter word i was trying to find out how to remove it. but i got it out. pretty easy. thanks i will read the spec and fill the tank with good fuel

I would suggest you do a compression test before doing very much at all.. gotta make sure the basics are solid before going after the odd stuff.. if the compression tests even looks a bit flaky I would do a leak down on the thing too..

what do you mean by compresion test and leak down, you mean compression on the engine?

can somebody look at the first picture cylinder #3 sparkplug and tell me what can be causing that.

What year is your bike?
How many miles are on the bike?
How many miles did you put on these plugs?
What mods do you have? Please list ALL mods.
When was the last time you changed or serviced your air filter?
What octane fuel are you running?

Your bike is running too rich...#3 is the worst looking plug, but the others are almost as bad.

The use of a fuel injector cleaner is a good thing to do once or twice a year :thumbsup:

Your tank capacity is NOT 5.8 US gallons as previously stated...5.5 US gallons...unless it is a California model...5.0 (Gen1) 5.3 (Gen2)

For the initial treatment you need to shock the system with a stronger mix...if the one you have is the Redline SI 1...that will work fine. Mix up enough to treat 10 gallons...run the current tank of gas as low as you can. Then go to the gas station, add the treatment (10 gal amount) to the tank and fill it with fresh fuel. Run the complete tank of fuel through the bike and see how she runs after that...

what do you mean by compresion test and leak down, you mean compression on the engine?
yes, a good ear can tell if the motor is spinning over even but unless you know what you are listening for, it can be a bit difficult to tell..

I have seen guys spend a lot of time, effort and money when they had a basic mechanical issue that needed resolved first.. After you eliminate the basics, then you can start putzing around with the other goodies..

Things like a plugged injector are often beyond any simple fix and need replaced.. (they need to be serviced before they are causing obvious issues)

When was the last time you changed the air filter ?

that looks like a ongoing air filter problem to me

if not then timing

Your tank capacity is NOT 5.8 US gallons as previously stated...5.5 US gallons...unless it is a California model...5.0 (Gen1) 5.3 (Gen2)

My manual says 5.8 gallons, but I won't argue for .3 of a gallon.
I disagree with mixing it more than is recommended.
More is not better in some cases.
It is designed to work as the manufacturer has stated so I stick to that.

JMO

Last edited:

Then why bring it up?...there are at least two online manuals here on the board. They both state 5.5 gal...CA is 5.0 gal or 5.3 gal...does the OP have a Gen1 or Gen2?

03 busa
power commander
ign module
K&N filter just cleaned last week lightly oiled
spark plugs new 2 sets
91 or 92 octane i know is the most expensive at the pump
i removed the power commander and still the hard start was there, like not enough force to crank the engine
small box mod
brock hindle gen 3 full sys
i removed the stater look good the shaft looked good not distorded or anything.
what do you mean by timing?
the problem starts when the bike is warm or hot, cold start is good.

Last edited:

JMO

Over kill does no harm ..........but i still think it is an air problem

sorry I meant there seems to be an intermittent spark problem have you tried spraying the headder pipes with oil after swapping the coils around ?

JMO

From Redline's website...

"Initially use one bottle to a fuel tank and fill with fuel
to achieve 'rapid' clean up. The treatment can be
reduced on subsequent fill ups to 1/3-1/6 oz
gallon (one bottle 50-100 gallons) to provide
continued injector and valve cleanliness. The deter-
gents and antioxidants help prevent the formation of
gum and varnish in gasoline, and the rust inhibitors
prevent corrosion. Redline SI-1 will not damage fuel
system components and the combustion by-products
do not cause corrosion of engine bearings as can
many fuel additives."

whilst the bikes running ease the coilwires out of the coils USE PLASTIC PLIERS and gauge the size of the spark .

see if you have 2 strong coils on all 4 leads

03 busa
power commander
ign module
K&N filter just cleaned last week lightly oiled
spark plugs new 2 sets
91 or 92 octane i know is the most expensive at the pump
i removed the power commander and still the hard start was there, like not enough force to crank the engine
small box mod
brock hindle gen 3 full sys
i removed the stater look good the shaft looked good not distorded or anything.

Does your bike have a fresh battery or the original one?

I also have a '03...still has the original battery :laugh: :thumbsup:

I would switch to 87 octane and run the fuel treatment through the system. Your bike was tuned for "minimum 87 octane" most Gen1's run BEST on this fuel. Dyno tests have proven that they make more HP on 87 vs. running 91+ octane.

I have a '03 with a full pipe, PC3R, small box mod, aftermarket air filter, custom map...it runs GREAT on 87...why pay more for fuel ???

i removed the pc3 and ign module and the plug look normal but bike still having issues starting. will post results when i bike get started. is hot again.att is brand new the yuasa upgrade 233 cca. i will to switch to 87 thanks for advice. i still think is the starter. i didn't want to break it apart to do the test i rather just buy a new one. 140.00 brand new is not bad

Last edited:
Back