HID problem

drumfanatic

Registered
Yes, add me to the club. Here's a description of the problem:

Phillips 6000k system both high and low (I never use high beams, but there are two ballasts).

Turn the key and the low beam flickers on then off. Seams like the bulb is fine to me. Turn on high beam and that one works fine. I bought my 07 busa used, so I wasn't part of the install. Anyone got any ideas?

Try switching them and see if the low beam works, may have a bad ballast or igniter.

You can switch ballast, but if you don't do something to keep the low beam off until after start it won't be long and that ballast will be shot.

Got the light to come on once I was at work today. This is pissing me off. I did however keep the bike on a tender last night and rode this morning in a gear lower than usual to keep my RPMs up. Just incase it was a charging/battery thing. I'll try the ballast switching.

As far as keeping the low beam off during start, I have an 07. Doesn't this happen already?

Your low beam is wired to stay lit, when you turn the key on, the light comes on. When you thumb the starter, the light goes out and starter turns, after the bike fires up, the light comes back on. Not really good for the ignitor. Mine did that for a while, go off after I started it. I would have to shut the bike off and restart to re-ignite the bulb. I put a switch inline and problem solved. You can also use a relay to delay the bulb ignition until after the bike starts.

Got the light to come on once I was at work today. This is pissing me off. I did however keep the bike on a tender last night and rode this morning in a gear lower than usual to keep my RPMs up. Just incase it was a charging/battery thing. I'll try the ballast switching.

As far as keeping the low beam off during start, I have an 07. Doesn't this happen already?

No sir. When you switch the key on the low beam fires, when you hit the starter switch the low beam dies until the bike cranks and then fires again.

When mine first went bad I would crank cold fine. But if I had been riding and stopped for something; then I would turn the keyswitch on and give it ten seconds before cranking and the light worked. That may or may not work for you. It's not the bike, it's the ballast.

Your low beam is wired to stay lit, when you turn the key on, the light comes on. When you thumb the starter, the light goes out and starter turns, after the bike fires up, the light comes back on. Not really good for the ignitor. Mine did that for a while, go off after I started it. I would have to shut the bike off and restart to re-ignite the bulb. I put a switch inline and problem solved. You can also use a relay to delay the bulb ignition until after the bike starts.

Best advise going. Swap the ballast and add a switch or TDR. Do a search there are hundreds of threads on these mods.

I have mine on a switch, and I'm using a relay. I like being able to turn my headlight on and off.

Well, I found a cool post on here about an 08 busa. The guy held the starter switch in, then turned on the key. This keeps the light off during start. Then he just pulled the clutch in and the bike starts. The light doesn't come on until he releases the starter switch. Now this got me real excited because it's like having a delay or a toggle switch installed. The bad news is it still didn't work. The light still flashed on then off when I released the starter... next up, ballast swap.

Back